Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ouch

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

i hope women i don't know can help me.  my doctor certainly is not trying; i left her office sobbing a couple of hours ago.  my story.   i have had pretty severe anemia for nearly 10 years.  i don't know what it is like to feel well.   the cause is horror-film style menstruation. i have had several blood transfusions and iron infusions--all with temporary success.  i worked with a doctor for all of those years who could offer no explanation or compassion.  in december, i fired her.  i found a new doctor that i LOVE.  within 10 minutes of meeting her, she theorized that my issues are caused by low progesterone.  she sent me for a ton of tests.  these tests led me to a GYN.  my long-time, kind, wonderful GYN died very suddenly a couple of months ago, so i was forced to choose someone quickly.  (yep, i chose the one that made me cry today.)  the GYN performed a hysteroscopy on february 1.  while she was in there, she did a D and C due to a very fluffy uterine lining.  she also took biopsy samples, which turned out normal.  in an effort to avoid an ablation, i agreed to a mirena.  my hope was that the progesterone and IUD itself would cure my severe bleeding and give me my life back.  it's now 3 weeks later.  the expected symptoms are subsiding:  cramping, bleeding, nausea.  i still have increased acne and seem to cry easily; these are not terrible, but certainly annoying.  the big concern is that i have pain all day long, every day, worsening at the end of the work day to the point where i need to lay flat.  sitting hurts the worst.  the pain feels like the mirena is poking the side of my uterus, always in the same spot.  the GYN seems to think this is ok, despite the fact that i explained how negatively this was affecting my life.  she made me feel like a whiner.  she did check the strings and claims everything is ok.  she told me to wait 2 months and then come back if it still hurts.  after reading all kinds of posts, i am freaking out that the mirena was a bad choice and that even more negative side effects will occur.  80 days seems like a long time to be in pain.  please help me.

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Rahforever
by Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:58 AM

My dr never helped me I even begged to have it removed they said its too spendy and keep giving it a try  I kept it in for 15 months and now I have another stupid one but not as many complaints.  I wish I could help you cause I got one again even though I hated it the first time. Go in to a different dr did you have a u/s on it? I hope you get some help... :(

starry_mom
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM

My mom had very similar menstration as you and she had to be put on the pill. I'd say listen to your body... if your body doesn't like it get it removed! you may have gotten PID from it. and one thing that women always forget is you CAN fire your doctor, you after all hired him/her... Go find a doctor who will listen to you, ask your girlfriends in your area who their doc is and if they like them... good luck hun!

tortuga11
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

thank you so much for your replies.  it's amazing how a person can feel so alone.  your connections help.  no, i didn't have an ultrasound...i asked for one, but the doc says i need to wait 2 more months before she will order one.  yes, she is fired.  she is incredibly devoid of compassion and so condescending; i cannot possibly put myself in her office again.  i did reach out to girlfriends in my area.  i got one solid recommendation, but in a midwifery clinic, so don't know if i can go there.    i feel so hurt and raw now that it's hard to make the phone call to a new place.  

do my symptoms sound normal?  i expected some cramping and spotting, but the poking pain is what's getting to me.  i can't imagine this long term.  will an ultrasound show if this is digging into my uterine wall abnormally?

tortuga11
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

i fired my doctor.  i now have an AMAZING doctor.  she agreed that my strings looked good, but BELIEVED my pain.  an ultrasound quickly showed that the mirena was trapped way low in my uterus.  indeed, it was poking the left side of my uterus.  pain 24 hours a day for 7 weeks.  she gave me antibiotics to clear up the infection this caused.  one week later, under ultrasound, she removed the poker and placed a new mirena in the correct spot.  INSTANT RELIEF!  the new mirena is causing no pain.  my 2 periods since the mirena are nearly 3 weeks long each, but i a losing considerably less blood than before.  i do have 2 growing cysts on my ovary which are causing pain......the good doc is monitoring them closely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)