• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Periods after Mirena

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 307 Total Views
I had my Mirena removed after a full five years on 2/25/14. I was told I could start the pill when my period returned. My gyn called me a couple of weeks later to tell me at the time of my pap smear, I had a yeast infection so they prescribed me a single pill to take. During that convo, I asked if it's normal to still not have a period and when to start my pill. He advised I could pick any Sunday to start it since I'd just had the iud removed. Mind you, this was nearly two weeks after removal. My dh and I had unprotected sex the week leading up to removal, I inquired about accidental pregnancy at my appt before removal And he told me it was highly improbable. My Mirena had been trimmed short so it took some numbing topical ointment and a terrifyingly long forceps as well as a lot of pain to remove. I bled for about 3 days and felt like my insides had been ripped from my body for almost two weeks. I was bedridden for a few days after. I started the pill on March 9th and we went away for two nights on the 11th and 12th for our anniversary. The gyn said I shouldn't be ovulating yet and so I could start the pill pack even before my first post Mirena period. Needless to say we had unprotected sex because I was led to believe that after a few days it became effective. I'm allergic to latex, spermicide and am sensitive to a lot of other barrier methods which is why we used mirena and bc pills. I took a test before starting the pill even though the gyn said I couldn't possible be pg, it was neg so I started the pack. I finished the 3 weeks of active pills on this past Saturday March 29th. It's now April 3 and I have not had any inklings of a period. I had all of the side effects from the iud and they're slowly going away. I am wondering if I should keep waiting and start my new pill pack anyway this Sunday or if I should wait and try another test. We are definitely not trying for a baby, we felt pretty ridiculous after I was ready for sex on our trip. Like fumbling with condoms because it had been so long since we'd used them. Even the latex free ones irritate my vagina. . So in the heat of the too much wine moment, we took it off. We have 3 boys, I've been wanting to try for a girl for years but my dh said we'd have to move into a bigger house so it had been tossed off the table. It won't be the end of the world if I am. .. Just not planned. BTW I didn't have a period the entire five years I had it in.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
alciedalcie
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM
I just took a test and it came up negative. But I'm baffled by how long it's taking for my period.
Tasha911471
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:43 AM
I am curious to find out because I get mine taken out soon .
bmw29
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM
It took almost 5 months before my period showed up but I had 2 Mirenas for a total of 10 years.
Ellen_Frankfurt
by on Oct. 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I got my period two months after having it removed. In fact, I'm on it now, my fourth day. It was the heaviest period I ever had! Fortunately, today it's starting to lighten up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)