Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to my nightmare - I mean let me introduce myself

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM
  • 81 Replies
  • 4403 Total Views
My name is Tracey and I'm a 33 yr old mom of 2.  After I had my youngest, I had the Mirena put in.  After reading up on all of the side effects of all the different forms of birh control, I thought this was the best one.  Boy, I couldn't be more wrong.  When I first read about Mirena, there were few side effects.  But now, after having it for almost 2 years, I have found myself having far too many problems.  From gaining a large amount of weight, to depression, to constant fatigue, headaches almost on a daily basis, acne, significant hair loss and unbearable back pain.  Oh, I forgot to mention, lack of sex drive.  Unfortunately, I no longer have health insurance and can't afford to pay out of pocket to have it removed.  So I live day in and day out with all of these wonderful side effects.   My relationship with my significant other hasn't ended yet, but I know he is extremely frustrated.  My relationship with my children isn't what it should be.  I lack the energy to play with them as much as I should.  I'm hoping that sometime in the near future that I will be able to have it removed so that I may go back to my "normal" life. 
by on Jul. 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyleandrewsmom
by on Jul. 11, 2007 at 7:30 PM
I have the paraguard IUD have you considered switching?
jakenzacksmom
by on Jul. 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure I want any IUD.  I have heard many women say great things about their IUD experiences, but after this one, I think I'm just going to have my last child and have my tubes tied.  I don't want to deal with BC any more.
sophie_sue24
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:06 PM
i just had mine put in two days ago,  i had never heard anything bad except the irregular bleeding...now im scared...your symptoms are the extreme right...could it be anything else?
2babygaultboys
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2007 at 12:45 AM
I had mirena put in 1 week ago.  So far I really like it.  My sister-in-law has had Mirena for 2 years and loves it!  Her only complaint is irregular bleeding.  She has tried all forms of birth control and worked for planned parenthood.  She says this is by far the best thing she's had.
eblstanford
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM
I had the mirena put in on March 8th of this year...the first couple months was horrible. I had irregular bleeding and killer back pain. I have noticed my face isn't as clear as it used to be but its not bad. I've gained weight but I'm not all too sure the Mirena is the cause of it. But now ....the only issues I have is during my period my cramps are more intense. Actually all the side effects that it said I would get lessened if not stopped after the first month or so. I don't really have any complaints about it now. The only worries we have is it getting knocked out of place or something.  We only got it until my hubby gets a vasectomy. Once he gets that and we know for certain it worked I'm having it removed.
jakenzacksmom
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Quoting sophie_sue24:

i just had mine put in two days ago,  i had never heard anything bad except the irregular bleeding...now im scared...your symptoms are the extreme right...could it be anything else?

Although my symptoms have become somewhat common, not every woman experiences them.  Please don't be scared.  This form of contraception has worked for many women without any problems.  I had never heard anything bad about it either, but was going through so many unexplained physical problems that I started doing research and came across other women who had the same severe "symptoms" I had and they all had the Mirena.  For those who had it removed, most of their symptoms subsided within a week of removal. 
         I created this group so the women who are having issues can talk about how they feel and what they are experiencing. 
jakenzacksmom
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Quoting 2babygaultboys:

I had mirena put in 1 week ago.  So far I really like it.  My sister-in-law has had Mirena for 2 years and loves it!  Her only complaint is irregular bleeding.  She has tried all forms of birth control and worked for planned parenthood.  She says this is by far the best thing she's had.

I think it's great for not having to worry about taking a pill or anything like that, I've just had so much happen to me physically, and have had tests done for other reasons all coming back negative.  I did research and came across a lot of women who are going through the same thing I am and they all have or have had the Mirena.  I know it works great for many other women, just not for me.
sophie_sue24
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Quoting jakenzacksmom:

Quoting sophie_sue24:

i just had mine put in two days ago, i had never heard anything bad except the irregular bleeding...now im scared...your symptoms are the extreme right...could it be anything else?

Although my symptoms have become somewhat common, not every woman experiences them. Please don't be scared. This form of contraception has worked for many women without any problems. I had never heard anything bad about it either, but was going through so many unexplained physical problems that I started doing research and came across other women who had the same severe "symptoms" I had and they all had the Mirena. For those who had it removed, most of their symptoms subsided within a week of removal.
I created this group so the women who are having issues can talk about how they feel and what they are experiencing.
thanks for easing my mind...i have PCOS as well and alot of hormone issues..my doctor assured me that this was the best thing for me....i got prego with my latest miracle while taking Yaz...it made my Blood pressure go up,  and instead of changing my BC  she put me on Blood pressure medicines...3 of them...well they counter acted  the Yaz,  and i now have a bouncing baby boy...not that i would change anything...i just dont need anymore suprise...

oh and after that little mix up..i changed ob-gyns!!!

jakenzacksmom
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Quoting sophie_sue24:

Quoting jakenzacksmom:

Quoting sophie_sue24:

i just had mine put in two days ago, i had never heard anything bad except the irregular bleeding...now im scared...your symptoms are the extreme right...could it be anything else?

Although my symptoms have become somewhat common, not every woman experiences them. Please don't be scared. This form of contraception has worked for many women without any problems. I had never heard anything bad about it either, but was going through so many unexplained physical problems that I started doing research and came across other women who had the same severe "symptoms" I had and they all had the Mirena. For those who had it removed, most of their symptoms subsided within a week of removal.
thanks for easing my mind...i have PCOS as well and alot of hormone issues..my doctor assured me that this was the best thing for me....i got prego with my latest miracle while taking Yaz...it made my Blood pressure go up,  and instead of changing my BC  she put me on Blood pressure medicines...3 of them...well they counter acted  the Yaz,  and i now have a bouncing baby boy...not that i would change anything...i just dont need anymore suprise...

oh and after that little mix up..i changed ob-gyns!!!

Oh dear.  Glad to hear you changed ob/gyn's.  
I plan on going to planned parenthood in the next week or so to have it removed.  I haven't really decided what to do after that.  The only thing that's holding us back from having another baby is not having insurance right now.  When and if we do finally have another baby, I hope to have my tubes tied.  Good luck with your Mirena!!  I'm sure you'll be fine.   
-Talans.Mom-
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:03 PM
Hi. I'm Mandi. I was seeking some advice on this thing, but just by readin the posts and replies, something tells me I have found what I am looking for. I just had the Mirena put in two weeks ago. I bled for about 2 days, stopped bleeding, then started bleeding again a few days ago. Like it says to do, I checked to see if it was still there. No string. But I am having horrible sharp pains in the baby maker area. It feels like I am constantly being pinched. So My guess is the little sucker is just sitting in there jabbin away. I am going to make an appointment in the morning to have it removed. Then it's bye bye. I'll go back on pills. This implant isn't worth it! I also have been extremely tired, extremely moody, and my relationships with both my son and my boyfriend, have dramatically changed. I have become such a bitch. Not a fun loving person that I once was. And it's only been two weeks!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)