Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to my nightmare - I mean let me introduce myself

Posted by   + Show Post
My name is Tracey and I'm a 33 yr old mom of 2.  After I had my youngest, I had the Mirena put in.  After reading up on all of the side effects of all the different forms of birh control, I thought this was the best one.  Boy, I couldn't be more wrong.  When I first read about Mirena, there were few side effects.  But now, after having it for almost 2 years, I have found myself having far too many problems.  From gaining a large amount of weight, to depression, to constant fatigue, headaches almost on a daily basis, acne, significant hair loss and unbearable back pain.  Oh, I forgot to mention, lack of sex drive.  Unfortunately, I no longer have health insurance and can't afford to pay out of pocket to have it removed.  So I live day in and day out with all of these wonderful side effects.   My relationship with my significant other hasn't ended yet, but I know he is extremely frustrated.  My relationship with my children isn't what it should be.  I lack the energy to play with them as much as I should.  I'm hoping that sometime in the near future that I will be able to have it removed so that I may go back to my "normal" life. 
by on Jul. 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM
Replies (71-80):
RayJess31206
by Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Exactly what im going through!!

mommy03n06
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM

i got mine Oct 2010 my son was 1yr and it was great, but then the problems started after AF stopped coming. it was horrible i was desperate, called the dr they said i had to wait 2wks for an app. well the next day a did a lil research and took it out myself  out of DESPERATION. i was a wreck. i had some spotting off n on for 2wks after now at 5wks post removal still waiting on AF. have taking so many preg test that i lost count cause im scared. i really no ready for more, we have 4 beautiful children. and feel that we have reached our limit, but i guess if the Lord has other plans we will accept them, but..... oh my

Rahforever
by Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I know the feeling 100% they kept telling me it cost too much to put it in and removed that they have been tested and prefected its not the IUD I think this thing shoudl be taken off the market and stupid me got it again :(

cem9532
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM
you may have already done this but, have you checked all around to different gyn offices. I did alot of calling just yesterday and found some big price differences. Most wanted between $150 - $195. Found one who wanted $225, but then luckily found 2 that only charged $75. You can guess which one Im going to. The 2 cheaper are about 20 miles out of the town I live in, which is fine by me, I would probably go up to about 50 miles for that kinda savings. Just an idea, if you hadnt considered it. Good Luck
jnmommy1287
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

my name is jess...i had my youngest in 09 and sense then i have had the mirena. the first year was great no side effects nothing and no period so i was in heaven....then after the first year i started being bitchy amd everything was miserable for me and i could figure out why....i was having these killer headaches and i was moody constinly  gaining and enourmous amout of weight ..i was depressed  my hair got thiner and was falling out ..i almost lost my husband due to no sex drive and i was so mean and not wanting to be bothered by my kids....felt like the worst person and mother ever.....i also thought i was pregnant twice with the damn thing in and of course it was not true but i didnt like feeling pregnant all the time..... over the next two years i just couldnt put my finger on what the hell was wrong with me untill my sister got pregnant ad we were looking up birthcontrol for her after her pregnancy and we found a group of women who had allthe symptoms i had and they all had the mirena....so i looked it up and found out it all was from it....then looking up how the hell i can get the demonic thing out of me the insurance didnt cover the removal of the mirena  and i didnt have the money to cover $150 or $200 for it... i went to the hospital and told them what was up and what was going on and they told me because they were not ob/gyms that they could not take it out  during this time i couldnt get a ob because they didnt have opening so i thought i was screwd ....the hospital took  me into a room to do the exam of a pap and a pregnancy test just to make sure things were okay..the doc came in and asked what was wrong  i told him and he was like ok well ill take it out..he left and came back in like 10 mins later and told me that his superisor told him they couldnt do it ..due to the face that apparently my effects werent en enough or a danger to my life or anything and they were not the ones who put it in so there fore they coundnt touch it (first off i got it put in in LV i am now residing inNC  so your telling me i have to go back to LV to get this shit tooken out???..)...so i got pissy and was like WTFE  and thinking how the hell am i going to get this out and deal with this..the doctor came in to do the 
PAP and was like okay we are done have a good day and dnt say anything bout my wrk just smile and have a good day then threw something in the trash..when he left i looked in the trash there was the mirena.....to this day i dnt remember the name of that doc but he changed my life he helped me  better myself and get back to normal.....its been 4 months sense ive had it taken out ...and its no fun but its getting better.i bleed for two weeks straight like a overflowing pad every hour on the hour  right after it came out ..now the back pain is so unbarable....but its getting better ..i feel normal again my mood is better and my kids are happy and YES!!!! my sex drive is back my hubby is happy bout that and im in a better place in my life...i do not recomend this 
bc to anyone ..... for evryone who is deeling with the sideeffects im so sorry for your pain and i will deff be here to talk to ....

kaysea2012
by New Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

hey, i had mirena put in february 7th. i have been having what seems to be pregnancy symptoms, but i have took 10 pregnancy tests and each one is negative.. i have been having these strange Chocolate cravings, or basically anything sweet and also cramping like crazy before, during, and after my period. My periods used to last 4 or 5 days before mirena. now it only lasts 2-3. It is so light at times i don't even have to use a panty liner. I'm thankful for that!!!!!! My question is, Has anyone else had the pregnancy symptoms and craved sweets especially late at night?

Lanadearest
by New Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Hello,
PLEASE check out my website on silicone hypersensitivity. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
http://sites.google.com/site/siliconehypersensitivity/home
Rebelsledder
by New Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I found this post last friday september 21. I have many of the samethings going on in my life i just never thought it was to the IUD.I than started to look for other blogs and things about the Mirena. I made the decision to have it removed but i had to waite untill monday to make an appoitment. I had mine put in at Planned Parenthood,when i called they had an opening for tuesday. I am now 3 days free of my IUD. I have an appoitment on tuesday october 2 for a consualtation to have my tubes tied. Just wondering who else out these has had this done and how long did it take you to recover?

X_Mom28
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I had all your symptoms. Except I was extremely horny all the time. lol It was annoying actually. Anyways, I took mine out myself. It was surprisingly easy. They're very flexible IUDs and I didn't even feel it. I did it in the shower to make sure everything was clean as possible. I just bared down and was able to grasp the strings. Once I had a firm grip I pulled it out glently and slowly. It was so empowering and one less thing to worry about. Unless you've had your strings cut espeacially short then you may need a doctor to get it. I only had mine for 5 months though. It's up to you of course if you're comfortable to try it.

DessC
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I had Mirena put in after my middle child was born in 2008. I had it for a year and a half and wanted to remove it so we could try for our youngest. I did have weight gain and my periods disappeared while it was in. I had it removed and 2 days later I started bleeding. It was very heavy snd lasted for 10 days. Even the medications my dr. put me on to stop the bleeding did not work. After the bleeding stopped I did not have a period for 16 weeks. So the dr put me on provera to force me to start and clomid to make sure I ovulated and we got pregnant with our youngest on the first try. I had paragard put In after her and I will have it 3 years in July and it is horrible. My cycles are very painful and heavy. I have grown tired of it so I am having it removed also and now my husband will be responsible for birth control for a while 😉

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)