Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job Question

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 467 Total Views

I am about to start my student teaching so I do not have my degree but when in the next 16 weeks will it be a good time to approach the subject of the job opening for next school year. I only know about it because my classroom teacher is the 4th grade department head and she told me that the school is required by state law to hire another teacher since the only grade that will not be meeting the new law for teacher to student ratio is 4th grade the need to hire an new teacher. I don't want to ask to early because I technically have not finished my degree and I don't want to sound to pushy either. This would be the perfect job because it is my children's school and walking distants from the house. Any advice would be great. Also the job has not been made public yet because the money has not been granted yet. That will not be until Summer.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
soymujer
by Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I think I would go to the principal and talk about it.  Say that you heard that there may be a possible opening coming up at the school and that you are interested in it.  Obviosuly, he'll know that you'll have your degree by the time school starts up again in the fall and most principals (at least around here) they like to hire teachers they have seen interact with the kids.  It can't hurt.

family in the van   Mom of four

katie1381
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I agree!  Get your foot in the door.  Maybe invite the principal to watch you teach after you get comfortable with the kids, and they are comfortable with you.  Since you are doing your student teaching you will probably be certified soon.  It sounds like a good opportinuty to me.

Good luck!

prissnavy01
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think that I will talk to the principal after I get settled into my student teaching rountine. My next question is what format should my portfolio be in and what should be included?

sarahjoy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I submitted my resume before I graduated.  I did turned them March and graduated in May.  My university said to do that because thats when they start looking at numbers for the next year.  I just put ... graduation date May 09.  under my education degree part.  Then when I graduated I updated it and just changed them out.

I was offered two positions in 2 different districts and neither one of them mentioned it.. they just said when I get my license to bring it in so they could copy it... I didnt get that until mid July after I was already hired.

some schools around here hire first thing at the end of the school year for the next year.  The job im at now did that.  Then some dont hire until last minute to get all of their numbers in like the last month of summer. 

sarahjoy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2010 at 8:27 PM

oh ya and there was a possible opening at the school i student taught in and I personally gave the princ. a copy of my resume and talked to him.  turned out that district actually got rid of teachers.  and didnt hire anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)