Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did anyone have a student teaching experience from hell?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 5071 Total Views
Hopefully I am not the only one, LOL.  Lets just say that I hope karma comes back to my cooperating teacher and bites her hard.  She was just horrible to me and made me almost want to quit the education program.  Even if someone paid me a million dollars, I would never go back and do it again. Please, share your experiences if you have one:)
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NicknJonsMom
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:42 AM
Can't share that with you because I really had a good experience.  My nightmare was actually with the lady I lived with when I was student teaching but not the experience itself.  My first teacher I still keep in touch with.  I can't remember the name of the other teacher however.

The lady I lived with was an old bat I tell ya.  She came across as this cute grandmotherly woman.  We should have taken our cues from when she complained about a few other people who lived in her house but my friend and I thought she seems to sweet.  OH BOY were we wrong.  If we left a light on we had a note hung onto our section of the cubbard in the kitchen.  Everything we did we got notes for.  The last day as we were walking out the door she was still sleeping so we tore the notes in half that she left us and we left them in the kitchen, we turned on every single light downstairs and we left very hot candies in her candy dish than we left never to turn around again and think about it. 

Don't be discouraged about teaching.  I'll bet you will be a more understanding person in the end.  Parents are hard to deal with sometimes so you will be better prepared for that.

Good luck

Mary
snailteacher
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 8:45 AM

what happened?
were you her first student teacher?

Jilybean27
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:19 PM
Yes, I was her very first (and hopefully last) student teacher.  She basically abused me in every way but physically and gave me lectures all the time on things like how I should not wear white socks everyday (my socks were supposed to match my shirt) and how I did not wear enough "teacher" clothes (I dress very professionally, but I don't wear crocheted vests with little felt apples and pooh on them)(no offense to people who do:).  She also chewed me out one day for using 4  q-tips for a math lesson; she said that q-tips were for art ONLY and I was not to use them again.  She flat out LIED to my university supervisor for my final evaluation, telling her things that were untrue and hurtful.  I dreaded going to the classroom everyday, but stayed in the situation because in my head, I thought it could be a good learning experience in how to deal with control freaks.  She rarely complimented me, and always told me what I was doing wrong.  The one time she did compliment me, it was because she told me that I did something exactly like she would do it.  The whole experience just sucked....I have only told you a portion of what happened.  I read some stuff on control freaks on the internet, and she matched it to a T.  I tried to get Montana State University to take her off the list for available teachers, but they have not been very helpful to me.  Unfortunately, she will have to abuse another student teacher for them to take her off the list.  Luckily, through substitute teaching, I have found my passion again for teaching, because this woman definitily stomped that flame out in me.
NicknJonsMom
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:03 PM
Wow your Teacher actually sounded like my former boss who is a control freak too.  I am sorry that you went through such a horrible experience but I am glad that Subbing has helped you to see that teaching really is a nice field and very rewardin.   When in June or which ever month you finish you can honestly say I did my best and my students are ready for the next grade, that is very rewarding in itself. 

Mary
musicteacher
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 7:59 AM
Hey!
My first student teaching experience was pretty nightmarish.  Most of it was due to my personal life.  It was just a very dark time. 

The man I did my student teaching with wasn't a big help either.  He was very pleasant and supportive of me but a very bad example of what to learn from.  To begin with, he was so burned out that you could catch on fire just walking past him.  Second of all, he pretty racist in a school that was predominately Afro American.

My experience was so bad that I had to quit just 4 weeks from graduation.  My supervising professor gave me several options.  None of them involved graduating with a recommendation for a teaching license. 

I took a medical leave.  Tranfered schools for a semester.  Changed majors for a semester.  Returned a year later.  Got placed with someone who was MUCH better suited to me.  I had a WONDERFUL second student teaching experience.  What was scary but awesome was that a lot of people thought I would never come back and finish!  I loved proving everyone wrong!  I went through A LOT to become a teacher.  Now I share my experience with my high school students when they talk about quitting school or giving up.  Obviously, I'm a little proud of that.

I hope your experiences of teaching in your own classroom go much smoother.  Good luck!
onlychildmom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2007 at 12:35 PM
For the first half of my senior teach, I was pregnant, and throwing up every 20 minutes.  My teacher actually called my coordinator at college, and told her that I was bringing the students down, with my negative attitude, because I didn't smile enough!  THEN, for the final part of the senior teach, after my son was born...I was balancing my husband being away on active duty, nursing, pumping and planning and executing lessons to 1st graders in inner city.  THAT teacher told me I should have chosen between the baby and my career.  That my choice to continue with school and have the baby was unfair to my students.  OMG!  I HAD to stay in school, so I could finish and get a JOB to feed the new baby.  Good grief.  I thought I'd never make it!  But, I did. And I wouldn't trade my life for anything.  Let me just say--my student teachers have all been treated like GOLD! They are the future for us, and deserve respect for all they are juggling during their time in our classrooms.  :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)