Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need new ideas for 1st day back to school!

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 169 Total Views

I start on August 28th, so I have some time before to get some fun stuff for my 1st graders. I like to do new things every year, so if anyone has something different from the general 1st week activities. For example in general I do this every year at the beginning of school and throughout: We always learn to recite numbers up to 100, letters and letter sounds, writing first and last names, learning everybodies names, class/recess rules, the pledge to the flag and patriotic song, how to turn pages in a book, how to sit correctly. THIS YEAR I would like to do some more exciting and fun activities. Does anybody have any ideas?

I know the students are nervous, but I get nervous the first week too. My mind always goes blank. I would like to be more prepared and more fun this year. I've been teaching 1st grade for a little over 11-12 years and did 2-3 years of kinder. I recently did 3rd/4th grade summer school, boy was that eye-awakening! Now I'm more enthusiastic about my grade level 1st grade.Thank you to all who read and reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

playing soccer boyfloating in poolplaying soccer boyCindy

by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mellie369
by Member on Aug. 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I don't have any *wonderful* idea but I was just thinking the other day how I never learnt about the summer olympics in school because, well, they always happened during the summer! So how about something to do with the olympics? Or maybe "School Opening Ceremonies" or grade 1 ceremonies? I dunno... maybe you can think something up from that ;)

Andrewsmom70
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Here's a site with a lot of good ideas for first day-

http://www.kinderthemes.com/backtoschool.html

Sra.
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM

My son will be in 2nd grade this year. As I reflect on his 1st grade experience, I remember that his feeling of being competent throughout the year is what he most often brought home. So to relax your students into the groove of 1st grade, maybe activities that show them that they are competent enough to handle it. I'm thinking out loud here... "All 1st graders must be able to write their names. Everyone please make a name tag for your desk." Then students do so. Then they know they belong in 1st grade and have something to go home and tell Mom and Dad...

I teach Middle and High School Spanish and you've given me pause, I'm thinking that most people know a few words in Spanish already, I could have them write what they know already... hmmm... interesting.

wink

Baila Conmiga, Sra.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)