Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Members

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 2:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 444 Total Views
Hello new member's and "Welcome" to our group. Please send a post and tell us all about yourself and your family!!
by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MomOfTwinsDS
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Hello, my name is Anja. My situation is just a little bit different in that I have twin boys which both have Down Syndrome. I too tried to join a twins support group but it did not work for me as these moms face different challenges that we do. Raising twins itself is hard work but add the DS to it and very little people can understand what you are going thru. My boys are just 5 month old. They were born in March. So far they are doing great without any serious health issues or any issues with the heart. They were born 7 weeks early so I am also dealing with the typical preemie stuff. Sometimes I ask myself if they are behind in development because they are preemies or because they have DS. Additionally when you have twins it happens that you compare them even though thats not a good idea. Fabien for example is 2lb more than Marcel. Fabien does better with working on his head/neck control and using his hands. Marcel does better with vocalizing.
I don't want to get this post to long. Just wanted to let you know that there are other people out there with similar challenges than you face.
Cheers, Anja
lundaylove
by on Apr. 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM
Hi. My name is Stephanie and i am 20 years old. I had my twins Alayna and Riley when i was 18-almost 19, they were born at 28 weeks. Riley has two forms of Downs Syndrome, the typical trisomy 21, but different. Hers is in a balanced translocation with the 12th chromosome. Its where half of one of the 12 chromosomes is on the extra 21st and the other half of the 21st is on the 12th. Its kind of confusing and so far, the genetics doctors have only seen it in the books, never in person so we dont know the extent of her prognosis.
My girls are now almost 15 months old and are doing well. We have therapy once a week to work on getting them at their targeted range developmentally and Alayna has surpassed hers. Shes walking and starting to talk and is doing great. Her only issue is some G.I. things.
Riley is just now learning to crawl. She learned to sit up before her first birthday and still cannot hold her bottle. ANd we think she has some hearing loss.She is at level with all other things. Its a day to day struggle and at times seems like they arent twins at all.
Im glad theres this group of moms who know what its like because at times i think no one does.
We are now expecting again and im so scared that im going to go through all of this again....

Steph-- Mom of twins and another one on the way!

ozmom004
by on Jun. 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Hi, my name is Karen and i have twins (boy and girl). Brandon and Brianna, Brandon is doing wonderfully, right on track with everything, Brianna has down syndrome. They are 13 months old now almost 14 months on the 9th of  June. Biranna has been through alot, she had open heart surgery at 3 1/2 months, a G- tube and fundo done at 6 months, ear tubes at 11 months, she goes to eating therapy along w/ PT and OT at Four Oaks  a Early Intervention program. Shes doing very well but still has a long way to go. They have brought great joy to our family. I also have a 3 yr old and a 15 yr old , so my days are always full.  I'm very excited to meet other moms in this group.
Karen
winterglow
by on Jun. 8, 2008 at 9:28 AM
Hi, I'm Irene and I have twin 5 1/2 year old twins, Estelle and Léonie. Léonie has Down Syndrome (I like the expression "chromosomally enhanced"). They are both beautiful :)

We live in France in a small town in Provence. My daughters went to the local creche (child care) from the age of 11 months onwards. They are now in the local nursery school with Estelle a year ahead of Léonie. This year Estelle goes to the "big school". Estelle is a shy little girl but not Léonie! Not for her those kind of silly inhibitions (lol)! I think Estelle is a bit peeved that, although she's been at school longer, people refer to me as "Leonie's mum".

We're fortunate in that Léonie has been followed by a speech therapist and an occupational therapist (along with physio for some of the way) since she was 5 months old. We are also grateful that she has no major health issues.

AndersonAz
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2008 at 1:29 AM
Hello, My name is Mary... my husband Michael and I have twin girls Alexis and Alizabeth who were born Nov. 7th 2007.  They were born one day shy of 35 weeks.  Alizabeth went home at 7 days old and Alexis followed 3 days later.  Alizabeth is my DS baby but is right there with her sister in most things and sometimes does things first like rolling over.  They are both doing the wiggle butt  on hands and knees thing right now and are trying to figure out how to crawl.  We know we are very lucky that Alizabeth is doing great as far as her health/heart...she had 3 holes that took a month to close and they don't even want to see her until she's closer to 5 years old to re-check her.  Alexis has weighed 1 pound more then Alizabeth since they were born but I think Alizabeth will be doing all the protecting when they get older. 

This is the girls at 7 months old - they love to play in the same crib but sleep in separate cribs.

naughtyornice
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Hi my name is Crystal, and I have twins. One boy Paul Jr. and a girl Haley. My  son was diagnosed with Autism when he was 13 months old. We went through a lot with him. He began school when he was 14 months old and has done very well. This year they will be 5 years old and he gets to go to regular kindergarten. We are very proud of him and very thankful to his school, teachers, experts, family, and friends who supported us and helped us through everything. They say at anytime he can relapse so we plan on sticking to what we have been doing and face challenges as they come up.  I know our situation is a lot different from everyone else, but it's still nice to have someone to talk to. My daughter is completely fine, in fact we were convinced that she got what he was lacking. I asked so many questions of why and how, but everyone has a different theory.
 Anyways, I have blabbed enough and I am thankful for you letting me join this group. I can't wait to meet new friends.

Thank You
Sincerely,
Crystal
o0pebbles0o
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2008 at 12:03 AM

i have twin boys. Nyron and Kordell. Nyron has CP.he is doing good now. but before pt not so good. we don't have twin groups up here. i have looked for one here. i just need some one to talk to with twins and goes to and from pt every week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)