Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you volunteer?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 354 Total Views

Why do you donate your time to help? Tell us an inspirational story or reasons why others should volunteer as well.

by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by Group Owner on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:53 PM
I'll start

Working in an animal shelter there are many happy and sad endings. Luckily the shelter I worked at was no-kill, however wasn't always able to stick to a 100% no-kill plan. Sometimes animals got very sick or very traumatized (kennel-crazy)...I'm not justifying it just giving reasons why no-kill shelters sometimes put animals down.

One night a woman who volunteered at a shelter I worked at found a boxer walking down the road. Emaciated, covered in fleas and ticks, cigarette burns on his back, and the saddest looking boxer eyes ever she brought him to the shelter. The next day he tested positive for heart worms...which most shelters would consider immediate euthanasia. But we treated him...for months we took him to his frequent vet visits and kept him calm through his treatments. He was an older dog...around 7 and he slowly started going down hill. He was depressed and seemed to be giving up. I spent every minute I could with him and even came back at night to take him on short walks. He soon started to get better...and was ready for adoption. Then we found a tumor. He had developed breast cancer. We put him in the kennels to be shown hoping someone would fall in love with him...he was so precious. He loved every person and animal he met...and even at his worst was trying to comfort whomever he was with. I named him Odysseus (Odus I called him) because of his strength) and waited each day with him for his new family to arrive...then one day a man and his daughter came in looking for another dog. Their boxer had passed the year before and the little girl got tears in her eyes when her father mentioned it...that's when I knew Odus' family was here! I took them to the kennels and told the little girl there was a dog I would like for her to meet...immediately the little girl fell in love. They took him for a walk and a half an hour later they were signing the paper work. I made the little girl promise to always love Odus and take good care of him...and he would love her back. She agreed and gave him a hug then walked her new friend out to the car. The man made a fairly large donation and said we'll take good care  of him and left.

I never herd from them after that...I know Odus went to a good home. There's much more to the story in between...Odus became a good friend of mine who I do miss.

Almost every adoption was a tear jerker for me...and luckily we had a back office stocked with plenty of Kleenex!
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:32 PM
I am an avid volunteer for my kids' school because I like to know about the people that are in their lives and around them. I think it is good for the school to know who you are and  hat you are going to be there. I also like to be a part of their learning and help the school anyway that I can so that they get the best education possible. That is why I am on PTA as well. I can be involved within the school a little more in depth than I would be if I were not on PTA. I can see where money is going from fundraisers and the affects that it has for the school and the kids. It is good to see where our money is going for our kids. I wouldn't ever think of not being as involved as I am and I love every minute of it.
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 1:05 PM
I volunteer because I feel truly blessed to be able to share my time with my kids and other kids who are in need.  So many parents have to work now a days and I am fortunate enough not to have to go to work and spend my days hopefully helping others.  I believe that if kids see their parents or other kids volunteering we will raise children who are not selfish with their time and give to others.  The most wonderful thing that ever happened to me was when a mother of a child I worked with in the school library where  I volunteered came up to me and said that since coming to our library and learning to enjoy books her daughter now falls asleep ever night with a book in her hand.  the other thing that makes me happy is when kids see the library for the first time, (my husband and I painted storybook characters all over the library, and made the computer lab look like a spaceship) their faces light up and the want to read about the characters they see on the wall. 

Douglas MacArthur
To dilute the will to win is to destroy the purpose of the game. There is no substitute for victory.

by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 7:13 AM
I have been around animals all of my life, dogs, cats, birds and the barnyard variety. But none of them hit home like horses for me, don't get me wrong, I just love cats and dogs and the others, but there's just something about horses. I've been around them all of my life as well, although never had the privilege of owning one for one reason or another. In my personal life, well, let's just say... I never really made much of a splash...
I mostly just existed and took up space, after most of my adult years feeling useless, I decided to check out my local horse rescue. Even though I can't own one, I thought at least it would give me a chance to be around them (selfish, I know) and maybe make a difference at the same time. Well, I've been doing volunteer work for them including barn chores to fundraising and even managing the website, and I've been doing it for almost 3 years now. Of all the things I've done in my life, I must say that this decision was the best one I've EVER made!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)