Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you drive?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 439 Total Views

We currently are at full capacity in our 7 passenger mini van.  I'm also pregnant.  So, we will be needing something with more seats.  We are trying to decide what to look for.  We need it to be easy to get children in and out of.  It also has to have wide enough seats to accomodate safety seats.  We had a hard time finding small enough boosters to fit 2 of them and another car seat across the back seat in our van.

For those of you who have larger vans, how do they handle, especially in the winter?

Thanks,

4dkids

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4time-mom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I don't personally have one, but a friend of ours, about 2 months ago, bought a 15-passenger van to "replace" her mini-van, as they have 4 kids and are adopting 3 more. She loves her big van - we've had a couple of rotten weather weeks here, and she said she's felt safer in her big van a couple of times than she normally would have in her mini-van. She said it took a couple of trips out to get used to the extra size (turning, backing out of parking spots, etc) but for the most part it handles like her hubby's big pickup (an F-350). She loves her big van, lol!

MiCKIE72
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM

15 passenger van here and we love it!! Once you get used to the size of it it is great.

mommy9
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM

15 passenger for us too!

kids stockingJesus was the best Christmas Gift ever.  God sent Jesus so that He could adopt each of us as His child if we choose.  This Christmas God is giving our family a very special gift in allowing us to adopt two little boys and a beautiful baby girl, just as He adopted us.  Prayers for our little ones to get home in time to celebrate Christmas with us are greatly appreciated.  God has exceedingly blessed our family, as this will make us 12 children!

Meloniemomof6
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I have 6 children and 2 dogs and we all fit very comfortably in my 2008 Suburban. It is the second Suburban I have owned and I love it!

psychomom2534
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM
i currently am driving a 98 expedition. it fits 3 car seats on the 2nd row fine but we have 4 kids and its a pain to get people out of the 3rd row without them crawling over the seat.
4dkids
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Quoting Meloniemomof6:

I have 6 children and 2 dogs and we all fit very comfortably in my 2008 Suburban. It is the second Suburban I have owned and I love it!

Is it hard to get to the back seat?  We had thought about a Suburban but I didn't really know how hard it would be to get in and out of the back seat.  We would have car seats in the second row also.  All of our kids are still small enough to need either a car seat or booster seat.

4dkids

czshcecnc
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Quoting 4dkids:

Quoting Meloniemomof6:

Is it hard to get to the back seat?  We had thought about a Suburban but I didn't really know how hard it would be to get in and out of the back seat.  We would have car seats in the second row also.  All of our kids are still small enough to need either a car seat or booster seat.

4dkids

We have a suburban and a 15 passenger. I have had the 15 passenger for 3 yrs. now. I love it and it handles so nice. Plenty of room for my kids.

I drove the suburban before the 15 passenger. I had 6 kids at the time and I think we had 4 car seats.(booster and carseat) It is a great vehicle but I had trouble opening the seat to get to the back and so did my kids. They always crawled over the seats to get to there seats. I did hate that especially when there friends did this also. We have 10 children now and of course needed something bigger.

on phoneamerican footballplaying soccer girlamerican footballplaying soccer boyblowing bubblesslideboy n girlbaby girlDenise

Mom to: Cari,Zack,Sara,Hunter,Clay,Emilie,Cason,Noah,Caitlin,Kailie!!

luvmy8kidsinIN
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:34 PM

We will be purchasing a 15 passenger van within the next couple of months. I am pregnant with our 9th child, so it just seems like the logical next step. Good luck on whatever you decide!

adoptamommy
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 10:30 PM

We have 8 with 3 in car seats and 2 in boosters. We have a GMC Savannah- 15 passenger van. I LOVE IT! Lots of space and you can move around inside to help buckle etc. It is not  4 wheel drive, but it does fairly well on winter roads. Have fun shopping!

mrscmom6
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I have 7 children and a 7 passenger conversion van.  When we go places as a family we drive two vehicles.  We can't afford a new van right now.  Plus our other car has over 190,000 miles on it and we plan to give that to our oldest child.  She will start driving soon.  That means DH needs a new car for work so that will come before another van.  My van handles poorly in the snow.  It fishtails a lot.  Other than that I love driving it.  I would suggest not to get running boards on a new van.  They look nice but I managed to tear off someones bumper with mine!   :(  They also cause problems in the snow.  Good luck with your decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)