Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any moms with big families work outside the home?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

Hi!

Just wondering if any moms with big families work outside of the home? I have been a SAHM since shortly after we were blessed with our 1st two children. We now have 8 - ranging in age from 2 1/2 - 17 years. My DH and own 2 businesses, but things are tight with the economy and all. I was previously a school counselor prior to getting our kids, and have just applied for a middle school counseling position. Although I know we have to do this, I am just not sure how it is all going to work. Any words of wisdom out there???

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momaof8
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM

I have eight too. I have worked outside the home, but now we homeschool. It can be done, but it is alot.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

lilmammaweisner
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I dont work now but have in the past and only when our finances required it i know it is nerve racking but your older children will need to help out and if it is a neccessary thing dont feel guilt about it you are doing it for your family and sometimes it is nice to go be an adult for a few hours. save as much money as you can so that once it becomes an issue ie: kids missing mommy or acting out you have the means to quit GOOD LUCK

CocoaQT
by on May. 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I have four (soon to be five) children and I work outside of the home. I work midnights so that we don't have to pay for daycare costs. I was a SAHM for several years but I couldn't see myself doing anything but working now because raising kids is expensive. The good thing about working at a school is that you will have time off when your children are off. Is working part time an option for you? If so, that is definitely a start. It seems overwhelming at first because you have to make so many arrangements and get things in order, but once you get a routine going you will be fine. Just try to stay organized and you will be ok. I love working outside the home and I love my paychecks even more :)

cleo1969
by on May. 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I have 5.  20, 7, 3 & 16 month twins.  I work 30 hours/week (4 days).  It's tough but I have no choice.  I'm a single parent now so I need the income and insurance.  I have Wed off and try to schedule all appointments on that day.  My 20YO is easy - he's never home.  My 7YO is in school so it's usually me dragging the 3 little ones around.  If I'm home, I try to do laundry constantly.  SOmetimes they go to their father's on weekends so that is my time to catch up on sleep and chores and shopping.  My 20YO is a big help with big things.  He lugs things around and takes care of the yard.  Don't know what I'd do without him.  I try to buy as much in bulk as I can so I can limit the number of times I need to go shopping.  I find it too hard to go shopping with 4 little kids going 4 different directions.  If I can go alone or with just one, I do it.  My house is usually a disaster or close to it but I do what I can.  I was never the best housekeeper to begin with.  I figure as they get older, they can help more and more.

momo8child
by on Jun. 1, 2009 at 2:01 AM

I think you should stay home and try to cut expenditures.  It can actually be fun trying to survive without buying much.  If you add up the costs of working, you probably will find that you won't end up with more money for other things anyway.  The benefits of having you home with the kids are much more valuable than a few bucks.

Magpie75
by on Jun. 1, 2009 at 4:31 AM

I have four children (had five when I had custody of my niece) and I have always worked outside of the home.  My husband and I have just always managed.  I have a very flexible job.  I have every other Monday off, no weekends or evenings, all federal holidays off and I get a month of vacation time a year.  A few times a year I have to travel so my husband takes leave so he can be at home around the clock with the kids.  During the summer my husband works nights so that one of us is always home with the kids.    

kraziandkoul
by on Jun. 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I work part time. I work weekends and my husband works weekdays throughout his season (He works April-Nov. in landscaping)...then I work full time Nov-April. It is hard...I feel like I never get to see my husband, but we do what we have to to make it all work.

kraziandkoul
by on Jun. 8, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I definitely agree...if you can't figure out a schedule that is beneficial, it can be MORE expensive to WORK! LOL. I know if I had to work during the week, it would cost me money to work (gas, lunch, and childcare for 5 children)...

Quoting momo8child:

I think you should stay home and try to cut expenditures.  It can actually be fun trying to survive without buying much.  If you add up the costs of working, you probably will find that you won't end up with more money for other things anyway.  The benefits of having you home with the kids are much more valuable than a few bucks.

tremors
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I have 5 and I work full-time outside the home.  My biggest challenge is housework.  I usually have a college girl come in every day for a couple hours to clean, do laundry, start dinner, etc.  Even if you have to use some of your pay to get some household help, it's still worth it if it helps you keep your sanity which in turn helps you keep your job lol.  Best wishes!  :)

Carrie (37), wife to Michael (51), mom to Dominique (16), Sean (14), Alex (13), Andrew (12), Caroline (11)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)