Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often should you get a Cat Scan or MRI done ? Frequent Migraines

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 2862 Total Views

Hi, I have had migraines for about 10 years now and they are mainly weather related. I cannot get in the heat period and it SUCKS! I live in a hot humid place. If I get too hot or the bariometric pressure drops (or if it rains) I get a migraine. I recently changed my meds from toporol to  topomax (I was on topomax a few years ago but got off of it because it caused memory problems). I am now on about 40 mg but can go up to 100 mg if i need to as my dr told me). I take zomig for the migraine pain (the topomax is the preventative med i take everyday). I had a cat scan taken about 8 years ago. Do you think I should get another one taken? I am so tired of these migraines and I know it is hereditary because my mom has them. I am just curious if  I need another one... what do you think? I have had so many migraines lately.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
thebailiffs
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I am not sure if you have read or know that there has been recent studies that show the people who have Migraines are deficient in Magnesium.  I am not a big believer in natural supplements, but since I have been taking Magnesium I get them only about once a month during my period time.

My Neurologist recommends 3 tab 250mg. One am one pm.

As far as an MRI, I am not sure the need, are you attempting to rule something out? If you had some other issue there would be symptoms.  I don't think an MRI can tell you that you have migraines.

So I would think you would not need another MRI. But I am not a doctor. So they would be the ones to tell you if you need another MRI.

Good luck!

P.S. I don't take any preventive other than the Magnesium.  I would ask your Neurologist about starting to take it.  It takes about 6 months to get in your system and really make a difference.

vickieb310
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I would follow your neurologists recommedation.  A CT scan and MRI are usually done to rule out any other underlying cause, not to diagnose migraines. 

I've been getting migraines for over 25 years and I've never had an MRI.  A CT scan was done simply to rule out anything else and hasn't been repeated. 

Unless the quality of YOUR headache changes somehow I don't see the need to repeat the tests on a reqular basis.

jennilissa
by Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Yeah i upped my dosage of my topomax the other day. I started magnesium a couple of months ago and got off of it. Iguess i could start it again.. i will speak to my dr about it. The reason for the mri/ cat scan question is the frequent headaches and questions about them. It is just aggrivating! Thanks for the replies!

thebailiffs
by Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The only thing that has really helped me is the Magnesium.  Most people do the same thing you did, start it not see a difference and then stop it.

I remember when I reached the 6 month mark. The migraines go less intense, then there were fewer in the week.  Then they stopped. The only time I get them now is around my period time.

My doctor recently gave me

Midrin (isometheptene, dichloralphenazone, acetaminophen

You could see if that works.  It is a Tylenol based med. but it also has some muscle relaxer and blood vessel constrictor in it. It worked but I still needed my Imitrix, which is my wonder drug.

So there is really only about once a year that I am really knocked out and go to bed with Codeine.

I can't say enough about the Magnisium!! Keep at it! If they are migraines it will help. Even when I miss a dosage I feel the difference.

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)