Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Headaches anyone?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM
  • 32 Replies
  • 855 Total Views
I have suffered from migraines since I was 8 years old and have been tried on many medications is there anyone out there that also suffers and what have you done that has worked any advice please!!!
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Va_Momma02
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM
I have suffered from migraines since I was 7 yrs old! I think I was put every medication they had there and nothing seemed to work until they put me on Lexapro (which is an anti-depressant). I was only able to stay on the while I was in the military....so needless to say I haven't been on that in over a year! The over the counter meds that I can use have been Excedrin Migraine, Excedrin Tension Headache, Advil and Tylenol........but unfortunately I can now only take the Advil and Tylenol bc the others cause my sinuses to act up!

The only thing that I have been using is a sleep mask that has Lavendar in it.....it really works! My MIL gave it to me for Christmas one year and it's by far the best thing ever!

Sierra & Jerry's Momma

Wife To My Sailor, Ty

hawaiiangoddess
by hawaiiangoddess on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Thanks for the advice I too have tried everything and the OTC does not touch me. I do have the masks but when it gets so severe even the scaulding hot showers do not always help and by that time I am in the ER. for preventatives I was on topamax and inderall it worked wonderful for 4 years but then when i moved to florida 8 months ago i no longer have insurance and cannot afford to get my own so my migraines have been out of control with no medication.
mom2monkeyboys
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:51 PM
My husbands aunt told me to try putting Vicks Vapor Rup on your forehead - it is supposed to work.  I have been taking Imitrex for a year.  It helps but doesn't take it away but makes it a dull headache.  MY migraines are related to being on the pill but I don't want to switch birth control!
Jenny-Lee
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 5:19 PM
Hi, everyone!  I'm Jenny and new in this group.  I'v esuffered from migraines since before I can remember.  My mum says since around 3 or 4 years old.  There were days she'd have to keep me home from preschool in a dark room with a washcloth over my eyes. 
I get three or four migraines a week and they are dibilitating, usually.  The only thing that helps is if I catch it in the beginning stages and take a butt load of excedrin migraine. 
My daughter is 4 and has started getting them, too.  She only has one once every couple of months, but I'm worried for her.
hawaiiangoddess
by hawaiiangoddess on Jul. 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Quoting Jenny-Lee:

Hi, everyone!  I'm Jenny and new in this group.  I'v esuffered from migraines since before I can remember.  My mum says since around 3 or 4 years old.  There were days she'd have to keep me home from preschool in a dark room with a washcloth over my eyes. 
I get three or four migraines a week and they are dibilitating, usually.  The only thing that helps is if I catch it in the beginning stages and take a butt load of excedrin migraine. 
My daughter is 4 and has started getting them, too.  She only has one once every couple of months, but I'm worried for her.

Let me tell you in my family they are hereditary but only with the women. About 5 months ago my 13 yr old son had MRI's and CT scans and was diagnosed with migraines and now he looks at me and apologizes for all the times he and his brothers were loud because like me he needs to be in a dark room or hot hot shower and take his tylenol w/codeine I feel so bad for him. But if you feel your daughter has them talk to her doctor and maybe they will send you to a neurologist. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Jenny-Lee
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 8:19 PM
Thank you.  I'm so glad that I found this group.  Not many people understand what it's like.  And it's nice to have people listen and not tell me I'm crazy for worrying about my little girl on this one.  It surprises me to see how many people think that children can't get migraines.  I will talk to her doc soon and see what she says.  Like I mentioned before, thankfully Em only gets them once every couple of months.  Maybe they can do something to keep them from becoming more frequent.
momoftwins96
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 8:24 PM
I too have had headaches all my life starting at 4. I have had MRI"s and been on several medications and even giving myself imitrex injections. After I had my twins they suddenly stopped for about 5 years. I now only get them when I am ovulating and before my period. Excederin is the only thing that works for me. It doesnt matter if you use the migraine formula or regular if you look at the bottle it is all the same. Try taking it as soon as it first starts. I used to have headaches for days  but this seems to work for me.
crawls81
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM
hey my name is dianne and i have had migraines for past 10 years.  im not on any medication for them either.  i was having them pretty bad and went to the hospital one time and they were going to give me a ct scan but found out that i was pregnant with my son. so i ended up not getting it.  my mirgrane symptoms were like that of stroke or heart attack and are triggered by light or stress. anyone have them like that
Mazie0723
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 9:35 AM
I have been suffering from migraines since I was about 13 and I can't even tell you how many CAT scans I have had.. The last really bad one was when I was pregnant with my son so July of 2005 and they rushed my to the ER because I couldn't see or speak and could barley walk they came and told me that they thought I had bleeding in my brain.. Nice thing to hear when pregnant huh.. Since then I have only had 2 they were a year apart and I have had the start of 3 but taken Tylenol before they got bad.. So I feel everyones pain.. I hope everyone can find their miracle drug soon..Also mine are triggered by my hormones and luckily with this pregnancy it hasn't been bad but I still have about 21 weeks to go..
hawaiiangoddess
by hawaiiangoddess on Jul. 16, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Quoting Mazie0723:

I have been suffering from migraines since I was about 13 and I can't even tell you how many CAT scans I have had.. The last really bad one was when I was pregnant with my son so July of 2005 and they rushed my to the ER because I couldn't see or speak and could barley walk they came and told me that they thought I had bleeding in my brain.. Nice thing to hear when pregnant huh.. Since then I have only had 2 they were a year apart and I have had the start of 3 but taken Tylenol before they got bad.. So I feel everyones pain.. I hope everyone can find their miracle drug soon..Also mine are triggered by my hormones and luckily with this pregnancy it hasn't been bad but I still have about 21 weeks to go..

I am so sorry to hear what happened when you were pregnant. Mine we found out are hereditary, I was lucky the only time I don't get headaches is when I am pregnant (ha ha) I couldn't believe it. Since the age of 9 I have been on over 83 prescription meds for migraines but they work in the beggining but wear off really quick and found out the hard way I am allergic to imitrex I swelled up and throat closed. At first they had me try all the OTC meds, like all the migraine meds and tylenol's you name it i tried it right now the two that work are Percocet and Demerall but they knock me for a loop so it is hard but when I get one I suffer horribly can't move, vomit, see spots, everything. As said above I hope everyone finds their miracle drug.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)