Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone on Verapamil for Basilar Migraines?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 465 Total Views

I've been taking Verapamil for over a year for Basilar (atypical) migraines. They cause vertigo and constant dull headaches for several months at a time. I should be giving birth in the next few weeks and I need to stop the Verapamil if I want to breastfeed. I was wondering if anyone else had been successful getting off of Verapamil for a while or if anyone uses another safer drug for this problem. I really want to make this work.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jenicasmommy
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I've never taken Verapamil but I am breastfeeding and the only things I can take for my migraines are Midrin and Tylenol with Codeine. It really sucks cause neither one of those help me too much but my migraines have changed soooo much in the past year that they are not as severe as they used to be. Good Luck!

38047_1230658629_med1.jpg picture by nica1082

AmandaI1021
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I take it for migraines but I don't know anything about the breastfeeding part. I am supposed to take it on a daily basis but I forget to take it until a migraine hits and then I want to kick myself in the butt!

SouthernMommy06
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Have you tried Topamax? i take that and it works really well for me, its an anti epileptic medication but thats cuz i seizure when i have my migranes, idk if you can use it and BF, but it never hurts to ask

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)