Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Does Your Family Feel About Your Migraines?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:54 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 496 Total Views

My family is trying to be supportive, but I know they are getting tired of me having so many headaches.  My husband especially hates coming home from work to find me flat out on the couch with one.  I can say that I have missed a lot of my life in the past 2 years because of them.  My other family members try and be supportive, but I think that they are sick of them now too.  No one is more tired of them than me! I don't have the luxury of going to bed when one hits; I have to keep going.  My kids are 7, 5, and 3 and my husband works a lot of hours.  I wish there was a magic pill to take them away.  My docotr just put me on Depakote.  I am really nervous about gaining weight on this drug and also I have heard it is hard on your liver.  I feel so guilty for what my family has to go through because of my migraines, but it is not like I have them on purpose.  Thanks for reading, I just needed to vent!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miisha
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I know what you are going through. I have missed a lot cuz of my migraines. Being in the ER and such. Some of my family thinks I don't have them and I make it up, others feel bad that I have them and don't understand why. Especially since im the one in the family that has them. My SO hates that I have them cuz he has to take me to the ER if what I have at home doesn't help. Sometimes its depressing because I have made plans and have to cancel them because I get a migraine. I hate them.

Miisha
adkmommy
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I understand.  My husband gets upset when he gets home from work and then has to take me to ER.  I have also had family members accuse me of making them up....

miisha
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I have family members that accuse me of being addicted to the narcotics. But the truth is, if I can stay away from them I will. Like the last time I was in the ER the doc asked me if I wanted IV fluids with morphine or if I wanted to try imitrex. I chose imitrex. And it worked.

Quoting adkmommy:

I understand.  My husband gets upset when he gets home from work and then has to take me to ER.  I have also had family members accuse me of making them up....

Miisha
Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM

My family is very supportive and they are as frustrated and discouraged as I am about my migraines!! They shed many tears with me over my migraines. In a way, it has brought us closer together, but I sure would rather have another way to bring us closer other than migraines. I homeschool my kids, so it's really hard on the days I get a migraine and I can't do anything because the Treximet has me feeling like I've been run over by a truck. On those days, I feel really guilty about the kids having to do so much on their own. But in a way that's good too, because they are pretty independent for being only 9 and 7. They can make their own lunch ( scrambled eggs, PB&J, grilled cheese, heat up leftovers). My youngest son wrote on the chalkboard a few months ago, " I wish Mommy would stop getting headaches!!" It made me want to cry!! I'm very blessed with a sweet and supportive family, but I wish I didn't have to put them through this. I just want to feel NORMAL, and not have to lose so many days to migraines. This year, with our homeschooling, I am trying to plan ahead for a migraine day by making a work basket file for each week, with a folder for each day with their worksheets and assignments in them. That way, when I can't do anything, they can do what they can on their own, and what they can't do, I'll help them with when I'm back to functioning. They can also play math games on the computer, and read their books and play educational board games that they can still learn from. We'll see how this works out!!

Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I'm so sorry for all of you that have family members who accuse you of making up the migraines or being addicted to pain meds!!! Obviously, they've never had a migraine or they would never say such a horrible thing. None of my family or friends have ever said anything like that, I'm very blessed to have a good support system.

adkmommy
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM

My family has accused me of being addicted to the narcotics too.  I take Dilaudid as a last resort.

adkmommy
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I am lucky to have my husband's family and some friends as my support system.  My family doesn't support me at all.

namaste8
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Hello,

I have Chronic Migraines, at least 4 a month.  They almost always last for three days each, and have for years.  However, they have become chronic in the past two years.  At one point they just kept 'cycling' for two months.

My husband and son are supportive, but, I know it is wearing on them.  At one point my son was near tears and said he felt so helpless and hated to just watch me suffer so much of the time.

My husband alternates between support and frustration.  Many of the meds I've tried have caused serious side effects.  At those times, it scares us both and he wants me to stop trying these strong meds.  Then I go another 6 or 9 days in pain and we are back to calling the doctor for help.

It has been especially depressing lately as my Neuro has said he has done all he can think of.  I requested a transfer to another Neuro, but am waiting to hear if she can take me.  There is such a shortage in this area that it is usually a 4 month wait to get your first appointment, and, once you get in, you are only allowed to see the Neuro once every three months.  So most of your meds are prescribed by phone. Ugh, irritates me to think about it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer.  That is the issue with these Chronic Illnesses, we want to talk about them, yet we get tired of hearing that apprehensive question, "Do you have a migraine?.."

vickieb310
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I don't think anyone in my family feels that I'm faking them.

My mother started getting migraines when she was 5.  All six of her children get them.  Both of my daughters get them, they are 15 and 8.

I think my husband gets frustrated at times because there's nothing he can do but wait it out with me.

hawaiiangoddess
by hawaiiangoddess on Sep. 11, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I don't know if I would consider myself lucky because of this but every one in my family including aunts and uncles my mom grandmother, and my oldest son all suffer from them we get them hereditarily so we all understand one another even when we get hit all the time with them. I am lucky to have my mom really understand to the point where it they are that bad she will come and pick up my kids for me and take them out. My boys at home are 15, 13, & 11 so at least they are old enough to take care of themselves if I need to sleep and since my oldest boy was diagnosed he realizes how bad they are and keeps his brothers quiet for me. But I do understand a lot of you ladies about how you think your family feels about when you get them all the time. But what our families need to understand is that it is 10X worse for us when we suffer and are laid up because of the pain.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)