Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergic Reaction

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 210 Total Views
I was placed on antibotics and after I finished the 10 day treatment...had an allergic reaction.  I got a lovely rash under my arm.  I didn't know it was an allergic reaction until I saw the dr at one of the weekend clinics - I just couldn't wait until Monday and suffer all of that itching!!!  Anyway, she prescribed a cortizone shot (yay!), followed by 10 days of steriod treatment.  I told her that we may be pregnant and won't know for another week.  I got no shot, and only5 days of a low dose steriod.  I itch like crazy!  She tells me, "I'm really sorry.  I wouldn't want to be you right now.  This could last for weeks."  WHAT?!  I was told not to use deoderant (lovely!) because it could help the spread. 

I guess my question is:  what do you guys recommend for the itch?!  I've tried benydril (sp??) cream and it doesn't work.  I've tried another anti-itch cream and it doesn't work.  Any ideas?  How can I not smell??  Ick.

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
1susieq1959
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 9:23 PM

I'm a little late getting back to you, so I do hope you're feeling better now. For the itching, if benadryl isn't working, are you able to try cortisone cream? And there's this blue gel that's for sunburn that's aloe with lidocaine - it also works great on itching. Maybe rubbing alcohol to dry up the rash?

Try not to get too hot - that makes the rash worse. And as far as not smelling? I'm allergic to something in anti-perspirant. Makes me get big boils under my arms. So, I haven't used any in YEARS. And I sweat terribly! But I only really smell after I work out, for some reason. I do shower every day and I use an alcohol based afterbath splash under my arms - I guess it kills the germs that make sweat smell. In any case, no one's run away from me because I stink. And I've asked people that I work with and no one's ever smelled me. So I guess it must be working.

Splash314
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 4:38 PM
Thanks!  I do feel better, but the rash is not completely gone.  I was using a cream for the itch, but stopped because I didn't  want to chance anything with possibly being prego.  I have my annual on Monday with my OB/GYN so I'll ask her then!  Thanks for the ideas!  I'll go looking in our house for that blue gel... I know we have some!

AshleyMarie
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 12:03 PM
I'm a customer of a wellness company and it has a cream that I've used on misquito bites (not exactly what you have) but it took the itch away instantly.  Also I bet they tell you not to use deorderant because of the chemicals that most companies use in the ingredients but the naturals deodorant I use has no harsh chemicals in it so I bet you could use that and prevent knocking people out by not using deodorant at all.   If you'd like to learn more about it just gimme a call 402-639-3454 (name's ashley from Neb).   They also have this bath oil that I bet would heal your rash faster and it's safe for baby too.  Let me know! 

Ashley
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)