Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Cure for autism??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 408 Total Views

My sister-in law told me about these probiotics for autism. Her friend gave it to her son with Aspergers and has noticed a big difference in him. Then I found this article on a study conducted back in 2006. Is this too good to be true? Has anyone given this to their child?

Here is the link... http://www.autism-nutrition.com/probiotics-for-autism.html

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
roseannalynn
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:43 AM

It sounds too good to be true. I've never tried it or heard of it and it makes me skeptical. I would love to see something that would help, however, like you, I am curious as to whether others have tried it.

Allisonpb
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I'm really interested in hearing other people experiences too. I'm fairly skeptical about anything that claims to "cure" autism/aspergers BUT (as you can see from my post about Red Dye #40) I do believe that there is so connection between what our kids eat and their behaviors. My son is much more out of control when he has been eating "junk", highly processed foods, lots of artificial colorings/flavorings etc. So I don't totally discount the idea that there are supplements that can help. I'm just reluctant to give my child anything without knowing how it will affect him. I certainly don't want to inadvertantly make things worse.....

BamaMommy3
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I guess I should have never put "cure". Just me being overly optimistic I guess. :)  It probably never even said that, but the study seemed to make them much better.  I do personally believe it has alot to do with diet. Maybe even doctors overly prescribing antibiotics. Some kids maybe sensitive to that. Or have less "good antibodies" than others. These probiotics giving just enough back to them.  As you can tell, I haven't done all my research on it, but I plan on it.  If even half of one of his symptoms go away, at least we are getting somewhere. My son is also alot worse when he eats junk, or just hasn't eaten in awhile. I have to feed him something every two hours. And feed him right before bed (he seems to wake up happier). That's what makes me think the gut has alot to do with it. If only we knew for sure.... sigh...

Quoting Allisonpb:

I'm really interested in hearing other people experiences too. I'm fairly skeptical about anything that claims to "cure" autism/aspergers BUT (as you can see from my post about Red Dye #40) I do believe that there is so connection between what our kids eat and their behaviors. My son is much more out of control when he has been eating "junk", highly processed foods, lots of artificial colorings/flavorings etc. So I don't totally discount the idea that there are supplements that can help. I'm just reluctant to give my child anything without knowing how it will affect him. I certainly don't want to inadvertantly make things worse.....

spieges
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Probiotics help my grandson's digestion and bowel movements, along with a GFCF diet. That's about it, but he probably feels better having regular poops than he did before.

Spieges

jthor
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I used probiotics when I first started biomedical treatments.  I started probiotics after about a month of the gfcf diet almost 3 years ago.  My daughter was 4 at the time.  I also started DHA for memory and concentration about the same time.  I can say that she made great improvement with all these treatments.  Once she started to gain some weight and seemed to no longer have 'leaky gut' I stopped the probiotics.  She is now off the diet with enzymes.  I still limit artificial colors/sugars/additives.  I don't give eggs, yeast, and nuts after testing for food intolerance.  I did the test a few months ago and hope that removing these foods will help her improve more.  I have not seen a 'cure' but she is much better and made very little progress prior to trying these treatments. I went to see a DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctor for an evaluation but then have used other mother's experience to guide me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)