Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you had the MYSPACE discussion?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:18 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 207 Total Views
I just wondered how many of you have had the MYSPACE talk and what did you decide? About 6 months ago, my dd was begging for a myspace page because "all of her friends had one" so I joined myself and spent 30 days looking it over before I made up my mind. I did not have too many problems and I did not run into anything inappropriate. Actually, I reconnected with some childhood friends and I thought that was neat. I went ahead and let her do it with some rules..Her dad and I must be on her friend list and have access to her page at all times. Her page must be private, of course and she is not allowed to have any "friends" that she does not know. She has done pretty well and only twice have we had to call her down on something. She has over 100 friends and she claims to know all of these people and she went through and told me who they were and how she knew them. Apparently she is very social...LOL....Did any of you decide that it was not okay?  I am open to any opinions even if they are different than mine...LOL
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Shaneagle777
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:32 PM
I am a myspacer  and so is my oldest son. I have complete access to his page and he is glad I am. He has had no problems with me saying no to adding a person or removing objectionable material.   I also am able to check his friends pages and for me some are pretty shocking, the language and what not.  The people on his friends list most he knows from school, sports camp and performing arts,  he is adding people from runscape and I am not too keen on that however I do the same, I add people I know from the internet that I have chatted with for a while.  My concern is that he use wisdom on who he adds and what he has on his page.  Other than that I am ok with it.
He knows the rules. On the other hand his ten yr old brother try to get a page but I have it shut down because of age. He had a classmate who is 9 , a girl who has a page . I think that is way too young.   Yet her parents watch her page and are on her friends list .   I allowed my oldest to get one nearly the end of his 6th grade yr and watched it like a hawk. I log on 1-2 times a month and read stuff,  maybe Im too nosy but you never know out there and I rather go over board than not and regret it big time.

Shannon
mommaofseven
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Right now only my 16 year old has one (I don't count my oldest since he is not at home) and I have his password and final say over content and friends. I have had him delete a couple friends from school based on their screen names and photos.

It isn't an issue for any of the others because MySpace rules say you must be 14 years old to have an account (and I believe that is based on the federal COPPA rules, not sure though). Justin is next oldest and he won't be 14 until October. If I allow them to lie about their ages and get an account, even if I supervise it, then I am telling them that it is okay to break rules when we feel like it. I believe that from a biblical viewpoint, we are to live by the rules of the land, whether we agree with them or not, unless they expressly violate God's laws. So, no MySpace until 14 and then only under my direct supervision.

Half of my "friends" are kids from the church youth group who requested me. LOL!

thill06
by Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:54 PM
My teenage girls have a myspace and I did exactly what you did, I am one of their friends so I can view their space.  I have asked them about some questionable people on their site though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)