Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Inheritance

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 244 Total Views

When my maternal grandmother passed away my mother got her knitting/crocheting stuff but then passed it on to me since that was something grandma and I did together (My mom preferred sewing).  Yesterday my dad came by and brought me 2 boxes of yarn he inherited when his mother passed away several years ago - he's had them in boxes in storage and has just started going through her belongings. 

So now I have the needles from one grandmother and the yarn from my other grandmother.  In the yarn I received yesterday is a whole kit from Mary Maxim to make an afghan - yarn & instructions.  This may just be my next project after I finish my dogs ruffle collar. 

The boxes:

This yarn was altogether in one package, but there aren't any instructions to go with it:

and finally I found this in the box - it is a blue / cream colored oblong table cloth.  My kitchen is decorated in red so I am not sure what to do with it.  Our guest room is blue so perhaps I could drape it over the dresser in there?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanalyn1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM

wow love it 

wooly
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

neat selection of yarns, and the tablecloth is beautiful!

sandy562
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

beautiful - -

mammadonna
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Fantastic!  I'm glad your family knew who would appreciate this gift the most...lucky you!

~Donna~

Pwill54
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

How exciting! It will be even more fun and special to work with all your new goodies thinking of the ones who they came from.

WillTimsmom
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I am excited to get started on a new project.  It will be amazing to be using the needles from one grandmother and the yarn from another.  I only have sons (who have absolutely NO interest in learning how to knit).  So I am hoping someday to have a daughter-in-law and/or a granddaughter who want to learn  so I can continue to pass down the art of knitting.

grannywilson
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Neat...

DJDNY
by Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

beautiful

dwidget
by Group Admin on Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM

isn't it nice to inherit things from people that mean so much to you.  enjoy your gift.

WillTimsmom
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I think I have found a couple of ideas for all this yarn. 

I don't know how to post pics, so I will post the links to the patterns/pictures:

The first is a dog poncho:  http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-dogPoncho.html

The second is a pet blanket:  http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kvs-superPlushPetAfghan.html?noImages=

I am always looking for things to knit for animals because I help out a dalmatian rescue group.  I usually have an extra dog or two around my house (along with my own 2 dogs).  It seems I am always looking for more "blankets and bedding" for all my dogs.  Also, my cats love to sleep on the back of the sofa.  I'll bet they would enjoy having their own "blanket" as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)