Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sock knitting

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:50 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 219 Total Views

what is your favorite sock yarn/?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wooly
by Group Owner on May. 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I've used all different kinds of sock yarns and haven't found one I didn't like.  I have used yarn other than sock yarn to make socks and had a bad exzperience and found out why you knit socks with wool.  I've used acrylic and wool acrylic blends and both pair I walked right through in no time.  I made big holes in the soles of them.  So, I've learned my lesson , when knitting socks stick to wool for walking socks.  I've seen cashmere offered for bed socks, but I don't know how well they'd wear if you were walking around in them. 

knitnanna
by on May. 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM

My all time fav is Austerman Step sock yarn, it looks and feels better every time it is washed. DD1 got one of the first pairs I knitted with it and they are 3 yrs old and wearing very well. I also love Trekking XXL made a lot with this and knits well, wears well, very comfy, most of my socks are of this yarn. There are so many more sock yarns and even tried less expensive ones like the KnitPicks Essential is pretty good, I even got the Lion Brand SockEase and I have made at least a half dozen with this and happy with it as well. There are more expensive ones that are nice as well can go up to $25 a skein for hand spun and dyed sock yarns. Some really beautiful ones the last time I went to Monterey, CA. Just depends on your price range. Though I got some Trekking XXL that day and some Yarn Art Sock yarn at $6 for a skein enough for both socks. Almost have them done kind of a Vermillion red color. Two lessons I learned was; be careful of non sock yarn choices... I was recommended by a Yarn shop owner on several non sock yarns per her, " oh you can knit socks out of lots of different yarns!" and they frayed out on the bottom in weeks...all that work ... was not a happy camper! ...and second make swatches and get a feel for the fabric, wash it and dry it multiple times to see how well it does. I found that knitting a slightly denser fabric makes the socks wear better and they feel better on the feet. Let us know which ones you like.

MarriedJess
by on May. 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM

i'm still exploring my sock yarn options :)   how about you ms poster  ohiofem  what is your fave?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)