Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Knitting Lace

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

Hi

I am new to the group but I wanted to say hello.  I have been knitting forever it seems, but just started my first knitted lace and boy is it hard!  I can usually pick up a dropped stitch a mile back, but with all the yarn overs, every time I drop one I have to knit backwards for a long way!  Anybody know a better way?

What is everyone else knitting, I see lots of baby items...I have a ton of patterns so if anyone is ever looking for something, ask me and I might have it!

Nice to join with you all.

Kimberlee

Kimberlee Andrews

970 812 5627

kimberleeandrews699@hotmail.com

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
wooly
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Kassandra, I love to knit lace, but hate to rip it back.  I have a piece now that I need to rip back about 4 rows and it's been waiting for a couple of months now.  Everything else is on hold since I found out I'm going to be a grandma for the first time.  I'm spending my time knitting baby stuff.  I think I'm almost done.  She's due in Oct.

kassandra55
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I knit so many baby things when I was expecting and later for friends and my grandkids...I kind of miss it, but nobidy I know is having babies anymore.  I wish you would have said, oh lace is easy to rip back!  LOL  I think I am getting better with the paying attention...I usually knot by touch while I watch tv, but this is definitely requiring more attention.  It is looking very nice though!

Kimberlee Andrews

970 812 5627

kimberleeandrews699@hotmail.com

ReeRee311
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM

The best idea I've added to my list of tricks when completing lace, is to put in "lifelines".  After completing a row, use a contrasting color (and with a finer thickness) and weave across that row.  If there's a repeated pattern, you could do this every time you finish a set.  I usually leave in the lifelines for two sets, and pull out the earliest one to use again. 

Go to Knittinghelp.com  -> Knitting Tips  -> Using a "lifeline"  to see a video.

Or you can always Goggle for more information.

kassandra55
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Thank you, I had heard of thet but was unsure how to keep the lifeline from pulling out.  I have cats that just love to help me!

darlinmomof3
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 11:56 PM

What  a great idea!

I will try this one. I am anxious to try my hand at knitted lace -- gotta finish a few projects first though I love to knit socks and enjoy using fine yarns. I have crochet lace and tatted lace. now, I am ready to knit lace and with my lifeline in place, I think that I will be able to succeed!

Good luck and welcome to you Kimberlee

just soaring through life...
one bizi mom, graciously reaching towards her empty nest

Cloverallovermd
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 2:15 AM

You must be on http://www.Ravelry.com They have tons of lacey patterns for knit and crochet.

When it comes to lace, you should:

1. check your pattern rows before doing the pattern - not that designers aren't perfect. One missed yo or a kfb in the wrong spot means you're taking a whole row out.

2. Dont be ashamed to make sport weight lacey things. Those little stitches are hard to deal with!

3. Count every row! You can use a piece of scrap paper or a row counter. If you get stuck in the middle of a row, sometimes It helps to count the stitches you have left rather than the stitches you're done sometimes. Learning to count how many before and how many left is a very valuable skill with lacey things.

Good Luck with your lacey item. Take your time and enjoy it :-D

Karen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)