Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone try a Coping Method like Hypnobabies/birthing, Bradley... ?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 13 Replies

Have you used a particular coping technique?  
What did you like & why?

by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whttigr0
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I havent used any yet but im reading up on hypnobirthing and the bradley method. Not sure what one I will work on yet lol. I have never done any classes or anything up to this point so Im learning the different ones to see what fits me best.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I did Hypnobabies with my 3rd child and LOVED it!  It helped me keep my cool the whole time.  With my oldest son I had planned to go natural but became overwhelmed w/ the pain and got an EPI, it wore off, and everything was pretty traumatic.  Because of that I went straight to an EPI w/ my 2nd child.  I hated it, I was numb the whole time, felt so disconnected.  Hypnobabies for my thrid really helped me to work past my past birth trama to face the birth of my 3rd child w/ a much better mind set and more tools.  From my research comparing Hypnobabies, Bradly, and Hypnobirthing it seemed that Hypnobabies had the highest success rate

doulala
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM

I have to say that I really got a LOT out of my Bradley classes--    but for use in labor...   not so much.    I did use the techniques about 2 years later while gestating-nursing and was in a lot of pain.    But the relaxation exercises weren't where I needed to go in the moment, in that labor...

I had wanted to try a Hypno method but my midwives weren't familiar and so I was discouraged.   I now wish I had done it!   
I just got the Mongan book from the library because I want to learn it, but am also starting school and have other reading as well...   so we will see!

;- /

lilkbizzel
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I used hypnobirthing and it was my first baby. My boyfriend and I took classes that were provided at a hospital. Our teacher was fantastic, she really guided us through visualizations and taught us how to relax our bodies. I think the most important thing I learned from hypnobirthing was to recondition my mind about what I thought birthing was like. We had to listen to affrimations that reminded me my body was made for birthing and that my baby was just the right size for me. My boyfriend was also a huuuuuge contributor to the birth. He helped me stay calm by reminding me to breathe the baby down. From the time my water broke to birth of my son I was in labor for eight hours. I played Hawaiian music over and over and visualized myself being on a beautiful beach on sunny day. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had.

Habibti812
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I did hypnobirthing with my third. I will likely use it again in the future as it worked well with my water birth.

ASmomofQman
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM

You ladies are so inspiring. Thanks for these kinds of posts!

cpflum08
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I didnt use any kind of method I just went with what my body wanted to do, It was a little hard to do because all I wanted to  do was be in the water but I was at the hospital so I could only be in the shower for 20 mins and they only let me take 2 showers:( thats why I will be having a homebirth in a few weeks so I can do what I want when I want.

Mommy_To_Boo
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I started Hypnobabies, but it just wasn't working for me, I gave up on it and switched to Bradley.  I liked it, and my husband really embraced the whole husband coached process and we had a wonderful birth.

hillmom
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I did allot of reading with my second pregnancy (reading I wish I would have done with my first). 

"Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin

"Childbirth without Fear" by Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

"Hypnobirthing" by Marie F. Mongan

I also bought Hypnobabies, but was never good at doing my homework for it. In the end I took all the reading I had done, the 2 years of research in home-birth, the childbirth class from my MW and my needs to create my own way of birthing (that is what I want to teach others how to do). 

My HB story is available on Cafe Mom. =-)

doulala
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:40 PM

SO GREAT to hear all this!!

:-D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)