Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How do you AVOID a cesarean ?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM
  • 42 Replies

Isn't a cesarean a maternity medical emergency?     So how do you know if you should do one or not?    Do you even get to choose?    If doctor says you need one, don't you just say "YES!!" ?
What if the doctor says something about it prior to labor??

by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whttigr0
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 3:12 PM

It was never brought up with me. I have never been told I would need one. If they did I would ask them for their reason then I would get a second opinion and do research on it (if it was mentioned before labor).

doulala
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Quoting whttigr0:

It was never brought up with me. I have never been told I would need one. If they did I would ask them for their reason then I would get a second opinion and do research on it (if it was mentioned before labor).

Glad to hear you wouldn't accept it simply at face-value.
A lot of women have cesarean deliveries and we know that many of those were unnecessary (after all).

It's great to consider options and alternatives!

whttigr0
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Quoting doulala:

Quoting whttigr0:

Glad to hear you wouldn't accept it simply at face-value.
A lot of women have cesarean deliveries and we know that many of those were unnecessary (after all).

It's great to consider options and alternatives!

Ya I have never had a reason and I knew there was no reasons for it. I have had all vaginal that went pretty fast. They tried to tell my friend that she needed one and I told her she didnt and she listened to me. She had her son vaginally as well.

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Well researching what a normal birth is and what is normal for baby, is a great way to avoid a c-section. The more information mom and dad has the better they can protect themselves from unnecessary interventions. 

snmtigger99
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

i think it is very important to know your options before or as soon as you find out your pregnant. I watched my sis go through this and it was horrible. I mean if she would have known about another method of birthing I think she could of talked her way out of it with her doc or found another doc. But her doc kept telling her her baby was not ready to deliver and then a week later he tells her baby is too big and wants her to get a c section. I know her baby was 10lbs, but deep down inside I knew that if she had proper training she could have done a vaginal birth, but because she did not have proper training and was freaking out, I told her the best thing at that moment was to get her daughter out safe and sound. If you are all tense and cant focus it could definitely be more of a danger.

so to sum it up, know your options, study differnt ways of birthing before your at 40 weeks (lol...jk)  best would be before you get prego or when you find out you are prego, know what makes you and your partner comfortable (some methods could work for some and not others), and when the wonderful happy day comes stay calm and focused, because a stresssed mommy equals a stressed baby which can equal and emergency c section and those are the worst. oh and if your doc has a high c sec rate (like my sis did) or you believe he could be money happy, get a second or even third opinion, because the birthing is your day.

Baby3inJanuary
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Cesareans are SUPPOSED to be used only in emergencies, true emergencies. But many "emergencies" like fetal distress, are caused by Pitocin and other interventions that are routinely used in hospitals, that would otherwise have been avoided.

As for whether you can just refuse? You ought to be able to. But many women have found themselves being threatened with CPS involvement if they refuse, or harrassed during labor and told they will kill their babies if they refuse... it's a very nasty business, and there's a lot of conflict of interest, when many times more money can be made per cesarean, than per vaginal birth, and natural, drug-free birth after waiting for labor to start on its own, while it has the best rates for outcomes, is also the least profitable.

In other words, they get paid for doing things to you, not for letting nature take its course unhindered. So they get really mad if you try to keep them from doing things to you.

After getting led down a garden path and outright deceived by CNMs when I thought that would mean they would support natural labor and birth, ending up with a failed 38 week induction and emergency cesarean (emergency caused by their interference!), my next step was to seek a VBAC with "the only pro-VBAC OB around" and that didn't work out either. She most certainly was for VBAC.... IF the stars aligned and IF this, IF that, and she wanted so many restrictions and conditions, I knew that the only way I was avoiding a repeat cesarean with her was if I showed up with a head between my legs, well before 40 weeks.

Next stop, homebirth midwife, at 30 weeks along. Happy, peaceful, excited journey to the end of pregnancy, wonderful spontaneous labor, great natural birth at home. 10 lb healthy baby, born into an unruptured sac.

Planning another such with the same homebirth midwife, this winter, with the 3rd child.

After what I have seen and learned the hard way, I have to agree that the best way to avoid a ceasrean, considering some hospitals have a 50% cesarean rate, and the national average is about 1 in 3 women, is to stay out of hospitals unless you have a true emergency.

-Meg, loving my life as a mom and a wife, happily married to postal carrier and veteran DH, happily mothering DD born c/sec 2004, DS born at home 2007, and Baby Surprise, another planned homebirth expected January 2011.

snmtigger99
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I agree with you!! My other half says I am only safe in a hospital, I say no way, as long as I am not a high risk for any reason, my butt is doing a home water birth.

so glad to hear that you made the right decision for you and your baby and you got the birth you wanted.

Quoting Baby3inJanuary:

Cesareans are SUPPOSED to be used only in emergencies, true emergencies. But many "emergencies" like fetal distress, are caused by Pitocin and other interventions that are routinely used in hospitals, that would otherwise have been avoided.

As for whether you can just refuse? You ought to be able to. But many women have found themselves being threatened with CPS involvement if they refuse, or harrassed during labor and told they will kill their babies if they refuse... it's a very nasty business, and there's a lot of conflict of interest, when many times more money can be made per cesarean, than per vaginal birth, and natural, drug-free birth after waiting for labor to start on its own, while it has the best rates for outcomes, is also the least profitable.

In other words, they get paid for doing things to you, not for letting nature take its course unhindered. So they get really mad if you try to keep them from doing things to you.

After getting led down a garden path and outright deceived by CNMs when I thought that would mean they would support natural labor and birth, ending up with a failed 38 week induction and emergency cesarean (emergency caused by their interference!), my next step was to seek a VBAC with "the only pro-VBAC OB around" and that didn't work out either. She most certainly was for VBAC.... IF the stars aligned and IF this, IF that, and she wanted so many restrictions and conditions, I knew that the only way I was avoiding a repeat cesarean with her was if I showed up with a head between my legs, well before 40 weeks.

Next stop, homebirth midwife, at 30 weeks along. Happy, peaceful, excited journey to the end of pregnancy, wonderful spontaneous labor, great natural birth at home. 10 lb healthy baby, born into an unruptured sac.

Planning another such with the same homebirth midwife, this winter, with the 3rd child.

After what I have seen and learned the hard way, I have to agree that the best way to avoid a ceasrean, considering some hospitals have a 50% cesarean rate, and the national average is about 1 in 3 women, is to stay out of hospitals unless you have a true emergency.

doulala
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I agree, too.

To add, I think that once a mom starts to question her attendant's opinion-intent, they can become defensive, hostile, making a dangerous experience for a mom.    Like we sometimes  hear that the "dead baby card" is played...    A mom says she better do what her doctor-nurse-midwife says or her baby could DIE!!    (whether true or not)     
That is hard to work against when vulnerable, IN labor!!

>:-(

Quoting snmtigger99:

I agree with you!! My other half says I am only safe in a hospital, I say no way, as long as I am not a high risk for any reason, my butt is doing a home water birth.

so glad to hear that you made the right decision for you and your baby and you got the birth you wanted.

Quoting Baby3inJanuary:

jenellemarie
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I would say the best way to avoid a C-section is to choose a midwife or OB who TRULY supports natural birth (and in my case, VBACS) with a higher percentage of women who deliver naturally than induced or by C Section.

My first son was almost 2 weeks overdue.  After drilling my all natural birth plan into my OB's head and swearing up and down I would challenge any C-section recommendations, I ended up being the one who decided on a C-section.  Imagine that. To this day, I feel that the OB (who we searched high and low for when meeting with people to offer prenatal care) fought just as hard as me for my original birth plan. Mine was truly an "emergency"...in fact he cried when he delivered the news that I needed to make a choice. 

We went in for the non stress test that showed my son's fluid was exceptionally low.  I was having contractions the entire day before that and was not even dilated to 1 so they couldnt "insert fluid" and after being monitored, the fluids weren't replenishing themselves even with the help of me drinking waaaaaay too much water. The problem was that without the fluid, the baby  could move wrong, pinch off the cord and lose blood flow/oxygen and die or suffer brain damage.  He offered to induce, wait it out, whatever I wanted.  He told me that even if we were to induce (since I had been contracting for days anyway...painless but strong) I would have a 85% chance of emergency c-section anyway.  Every time during that time that my baby moved, I pictured him "kinking" the cord.  I begged him to just hold still until he was out.  I told the OB  to just get him out safe. And now.

I plan for an all natural VBAC with this baby but if faced with those same issues, I wont hesitate to opt for a C section again.  I think  it is more of a fluke than my body so any Dr. or midwife (we are still shopping around) who seems to think of me as "damaged goods" gets 86ed. :)

trevonsmyangel
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM

this!

Quoting hillmom:

Well researching what a normal birth is and what is normal for baby, is a great way to avoid a c-section. The more information mom and dad has the better they can protect themselves from unnecessary interventions. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)