Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Name 3 Labor Fears

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

Let's share three of our fears about labor~~

by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whttigr0
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Our fears or in general? In general ppl fear pain, long labors, & not going into labor on their own. If its my own fear... I dont have any fears.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM

pain used to scare me but now that I had a birth w/ hypnobabies it doesn't really scare me anymore

back labor...so that's why I insist on having a laboring pool

& abandonment by my midwife.... During my first labor at a hospital my hospital midwife disappeared for 4 1/2hrs during the labor and wouldn't let us contact her.  Evil witch!  Because of that I kept close tabs on my midwife during my homebirth

doulala
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Quoting whttigr0:

Our fears or in general? In general ppl fear pain, long labors, & not going into labor on their own. If its my own fear... I dont have any fears.

Yes--    what do you fear ?

If nothing, AWESOME!

;-D

doulala
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Quoting Lynette:

pain used to scare me but now that I had a birth w/ hypnobabies it doesn't really scare me anymore

back labor...so that's why I insist on having a laboring pool

& abandonment by my midwife.... During my first labor at a hospital my hospital midwife disappeared for 4 1/2hrs during the labor and wouldn't let us contact her.  Evil witch!  Because of that I kept close tabs on my midwife during my homebirth

It's great to have a mind-over-matter perspective!

Water sure helps!!   So does counter-pressure & the double-hip squeeze!

What is up with your first midwife?!?       :-o

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:34 AM

The first time around:

1) How bad will it hurt? I wish I would have known then what I know now, PIT is not nice!

2) Will my baby really be able to fit through my vagina? She did, it was easier than I though it would be. 

3) Will Matt find me attractive after ward? He watch the birth and he told me I was more beautiful than before.

The second time around:

1) How would my husband handle being at home? He did great!

2) Will I know what to do, what position my baby wants? I knew no problem

3) Do I have enough high protein snacks? I had plenty of home-made chicken noodle soup

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I wasn't birthing the way she wanted me too.  I was having back labor and she never acknowledged it to me.  I got overwhelmed w/ the pain and asked for an EPI.  Instead of reassuring me that I was okay and maybe didn't need that EPI she just gave up on me.  From that point on she was really cold to be during the labor.  So she avoided me those 4+ hrs I think to avoid giving me the EPI.  Then when my son was born she cleaned me out manually, never mentioned to me that I had to push out the placenta she just dug inside me.  It was incredibly painful and felt vindictive.  She really messed w/ my head. 

But I don't want to scare anyone w/ that story.  Just see it as a cationary tale.  If you are going to have a hospital birth highly consider getting a doula to help you through, I think it I had one back then it would have made a huge difference.  Also for me lamaze didn't cut it.  I discovered "hypnobabies" w/ my 3rd child, and that helped me to keep my cool throughout the labor and birth.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting Lynette:

What is up with your first midwife?!?       :-o

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 4 and 8 and a baby girl born 1/14/09 at home.  Living in WI. 

doulala
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Lynette...   IF you ever feel up to it, you might confront that midwife, at least write her a letter.       That is so awful.      Not okay at all.    Why become a midwife if you have that philosophy??

doulala
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Quoting hillmom:

The first time around:

1) How bad will it hurt? I wish I would have known then what I know now, PIT is not nice!

2) Will my baby really be able to fit through my vagina? She did, it was easier than I though it would be. 

3) Will Matt find me attractive after ward? He watch the birth and he told me I was more beautiful than before.

The second time around:

1) How would my husband handle being at home? He did great!

2) Will I know what to do, what position my baby wants? I knew no problem

3) Do I have enough high protein snacks? I had plenty of home-made chicken noodle soup

Wow!
Having worries is very normal, it's so great to be able to list them AND to "respond to yourself."

;-)

palemoon21
by Member on Aug. 27, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Baby needing resucitation

Postpardum hemmorage

Baby getting stuck

RugersMommy06
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM

1st time:  fear of unknown: what is real labor like, will I know it's real, can I handle it?

2nd time: will I be forced into an induction because baby is overdue? (brought up a million times but I refused)  will we make to the hospital in time? (yes, with 12 minutes to spare!) will I hemmorage again like I did with the 1st? (yes, but dr. was prepared and got in under control as  as possible)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN