Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for natural birthing in a hospital setting ?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM
  • 37 Replies

Has anyone had a drug-free / intervention-free hospital birth?

Can you share some tips?

:-)

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamadowns
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Not yet, but I'm going to in 3 1/2 weeks or so, come heck or high water!!  I have an amazing midwife who is all for it.  I will so kick the booties of whomever gets in the way of my ideal birth.  I have had two births that were completely natural except for the pitocin that I was given and didn't protest to because I was ignorant about.

truealaskanmom
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Yes don't go into the hospital until you are toward the middle to end of transition before that it is hard to say no over and over and once transition starts you are very easily swayed because transition contraction aren't always more painful they are just different they change direction and timing it throws you off and they are hard to cope through so drugs sound nice at first.  Stay mobile the less time in your room the less time they can harass you into meds etc, selective hearing is great too as soon as key words start to flow out of their mouths turn off your ears and ignore them people will usually react better to being ignored than told no. 

Habibti812
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I've had 3.

The best tip?

Have a midwife.

Habibti812
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I should note my 3rd was a waterbirth at a birth center WITHIN a hospital- but still.

DixieFlower
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM

My OB has reccomended that I stay home as long as I can. Which I am doing with my doula and dh. :)

Bmomma2
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

My OB has reccomended that I stay home as long as I can. Which I am doing with my doula and dh. :)

If you are going to stay home as long as youcan, why not just stay home completely??  It will be VERY hard disruptive to labor and just plain sucky to get into a car and ride to the hospital and go through all the hospital registration and things while at that stage in labor AND things can go wrong in early labor, but you won't be at the hospital then and you are comfortable with that, so I think you should just stay home altogether but thats just my oppinion...I hope you have an awsome birthing, well they all are so In knwo you will!

Be patient , kind, and understanding.  Be the mom.

DixieFlower
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Due to my living sittuation I can't stay home completely. I am a live in companion for two adults that have developmental disabilities. They are very close to me and I am certain that me giving birth at home would have them very worried about me. As it is right now I will basically be confined to DH and my bedroom for my laboring. If I need anything from the kitchen DH will have to get it for me since more than likely I will be nakid in our room. The second thing is if I "accidently" had baby at home my job would still require that I get medical clearance before returning. So after baby was born we both would still have to go to the hospital before I'd be able to come back home. As far as registration I don't have to worry about that. I'm already pre registered. So I would do like last time just show up give them my name and would be sent to L and D. I had considered having a homebirth (away from home) with a CPM. Two CPM's in the area risked me out. The first one never really told me why just that she had discussed my medical history with other CPM's and they all felt that I could be considered high risk. The second one wasn't comfortable with a procedure I had done several years ago. So she wanted her back up MD to clear me for homebirth. He wouldn't due to the procedure. He said there are many unknowns with this procedure and along with the malabsorption issues that it causes I am not a canidate for homebirth. As to problems in early labor the doula I have has apprenticed under a CPM so I feel confident enough that should something come up she and I both would know to head to the hospital. The hospital is about a 10 min drive from my house in traffic and about 5 min without traffic.

Quoting Bmomma2:
Quoting DixieFlower:

If you are going to stay home as long as youcan, why not just stay home completely??  It will be VERY hard disruptive to labor and just plain sucky to get into a car and ride to the hospital and go through all the hospital registration and things while at that stage in labor AND things can go wrong in early labor, but you won't be at the hospital then and you are comfortable with that, so I think you should just stay home altogether but thats just my oppinion...I hope you have an awsome birthing, well they all are so In knwo you will!

doulala
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 11:55 PM

BUMP!

Quayla
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I would have to mirror what has been said and say you have to have a support person.  Someone who is really up to the job.  And be prepared to argue. 

Tigerbeauty99
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Quoting Bmomma2:

Quoting DixieFlower:

I have had 3 all natural births. 2 in BC's and 1 at home. I am doing a hospital birth with my fourth baby. (in about 15 weeks) ONLY because I want my tubes tied right then and there. Unfortunately, that is one thing that a MW just can't do for me! Plus, in my state, it is not legal to have a baby at home with a MW! So my MW told me to wait as long as I can too. I am so afraid that I will wait too long though, the ride is about 30min. from my house!

i-love-my-three-girls.gifhappily-engaged.gif 
expecting boysingingplaying soccer girltoddler girl

Alexus                     Kiley                     Hailye

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)