Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

C section for being too small!?!?! Update in post.

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 7:09 AM
  • 18 Replies

This is what they told my 15 yo, averaged sized cousin!!!  She looks like she has gained plently of weight to me, has a nice round belly and was eating, so shes not trying to starve herself.... but she told me the doc told her they will probably to do c section bc she is too small and hasn't gained enought weight.  I told her and her mom they better not let them do that to her..

I have never heard this before tho and I'm sitll in shock.  I have heard the crap about gaining too much weight and saying the baby will be too big, but too small!!

I really just want to see if anyone else has ever heard of this and if you know where I can get some info to show her and let her read for herself so she knows this is unnessecary.

Oh a happy note I was talking to her about BFing and she is thinking about it so I'm praying she does and hope I can get her over here to talk to her about all the other choices she has in raising her baby the way she wants to and not just the only ways she has ever heard of.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snmtigger99
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I have never heard of this. If I were her, I would do some research.

I heard of docs saying to small of a pelvis, but not weight wise.

good luck.

Cynthje
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Never heard of it,  are you sure its about the mom not growing? 

The amount of weight a woman gains or not isn't really an indication of the size of the baby at all so im guessing there is more to this story. Either way there is no way to predict what size baby any woman can birth.

lilmissrebel
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM

yeah she said it was bc she wasn't gaining enough weight, nothing about the baby.  And shes still not even due for a few more months.  I deff told her to do her research and to come to my house and use the internet.  I also mentioned this to my midwife today and she told me she has heard all kinds of things like this around here with drs trying to scare teen moms.. its soo stupid

doulala
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Quoting lilmissrebel:

yeah she said it was bc she wasn't gaining enough weight, nothing about the baby.  And shes still not even due for a few more months.  I deff told her to do her research and to come to my house and use the internet.  I also mentioned this to my midwife today and she told me she has heard all kinds of things like this around here with drs trying to scare teen moms.. its soo stupid

Exactly what I was going to say.

Can your cousin get another care provider?

She is VERY likely to end up with an unnecessary cesarean by using that provider.

If she & baby are healthy and normal then it's a made-up excuse.

Tell her to demand answers to:
What is "enough"?
What are the TRUE risks-dangers for not meeting that expectation?
How does a surgical delivery SOLVE this problem?
What would another care provider say, may I consult with them?

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

Midwives
see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem;
doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a
miracle!     
~Barbara Harper

truealaskanmom
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM

I would encourage her to find a new provider, and talk to a midwife about being a sort of doula for her during her labor since in almost all states they can't see a midwife when they are under 16.  The only thing I can think of is pelvis size it is possible that she hasn't finished developing that way but the only way to tell is xray which is out and waiting until fully dilated and pushing. 

lilmissrebel
by on Sep. 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Thanks for the replys!! I am going to try to get her to come over sometime this week or weekend so I can have her read this and find out what to ask her doc, and ask more about what the doc said and if he gave anymore detail.. then try to help her find another dr if they dont have anything better to say.. We also have a teen mom group close by, so I'm gonna have her look into that and if you go to the group they give you a doula if you choose.. I am really hoping I can help her out and teach her about her choices before its too late.. Thanks again ladies!

truealaskanmom
by on Sep. 9, 2010 at 4:09 AM

be careful with the teen mom group they tend to push interventions and pain meds as if teens cannot handle normal labor and pain etc.  She should try to attend a natural birth class like the bradley method or lamaze that way she can get a longer term education as well how far along is she?  

Baby3inJanuary
by on Sep. 9, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I always shudder to hear about teen moms, especially younger teens, because they are just like lambs to the slaughter, to obstetricians. They usually don't stand up and insist on being treated as women not children, and even us grown women have a hard time getting that respect, so they have almost no prayer of it, unless their families for a vanguard around them and they are never alone with the (s)OB.

It just makes me crazy. Teenagers, more than the rest of us, (except in weird cases like 9 year old mothers who are truly underdeveloped or something) are in a better position hormonally and physically, to birth healthfully and naturally than us perimenopausal mothers pushing 40, but they are just jumped on by greedy medpros as sitting ducks who will rarely refuse or question anything, and if they dare to, usually will break under the pressure of a much older adult threatening them with the fact that they can't possibly know anything at their age.

I hope this girl will have lots of advocates, with some pretty big cahones, on her side, so she can beat the statistics for her age group.

Pandapanda
by on Sep. 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I read this a few days ago and i've been checking in to see how it's going. A few months back there was a woman in the Pregnancy group who gained a total of three pounds her entire pregnancy and barely even looked pregnant. She gave birth to a 6lb12oz(If I remember correctly) baby vaginally after turning down a c-section! Your weight gain and how you're carrying aren't really an indicator of whether or not a cesarean is truly necessary.

If baby fails a BPP, which I doubt has been performed yet, then maybe it could be considered (or not, as long as it's monitored). But as of now- I suggest you be there to support her and have a midwife or doula there as well to help fight for her wishes. Knowing your options and what really is going on during your labor can make all the difference.

lilmissrebel
by on Sep. 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info on the teen groups, I'll deff look into it more and talk to them before talking to her about it.  I do know one of the doulas that works with them, I was talking to her about being my doula when I was thinking I was going to the hosp and she seemed great and helpful, But I never meet her in person. 

I am most likely going to be buying the Hypnobabies homestudy, and hopefully I can get it before she is too close to her due date.. she said November 12 i think.

I would really love to be there and be her doula/friend to help her and tell the drs to back off if they come with meds and she don't want them.  But one of the main reasons I'm having a HB is so my 17 month old son doesn't have to be shipped off to stay with someone else.  I have never been away from his for more than an hour, I would leave him with his daddy, of course, but noone else.  so maybe she will go into labor when Jeffery is off and we can all just go and they can sit in the waiting room lol...

And about the teens bodies being more able to have babies, I agree, I was explaining this to my MIL the other day.  She said she was scared she wasn't going to be able to have it bc she was soo young.  I know alot of teen moms, my mom was 15 when I was born and it works for them!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN