Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:14 PM
  • 1 Replies

I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. I have an 18month old DD and am pregnant with a boy due on Feb. 3. I had to have a c-section with DD but hoping for a VBAC this time. I am in a VBAC group but was hoping I would find more info to help prepare my mind to undergo what I hope to undergo.

The reason for my c-section was originally because DD was breech and I had low amniotic fluid. The low amniotic fluid and having protein in the urine is what prompted them that needed to give birth sooner than later. I was 38w3d. The night before the c-section I felt DD flip and told them I wanted an ultra sound because I was sure she had flipped and I didn't need the c-section. I was completely right and so we switched to induction. The first night I was given cervidil to soften my cervix that was Thursday night. Friday I was given pitocin, but I only contracted when they had me hooked up and even that wasn't much at all. I wasn't progressing a whole lot. The doctor couldn't rupture my water. Friday night I was given cervadil again, however I didn't feel right and didn't feel like it was in all the way. About 30 min-1 hour later I had to go to the bathroom and it came out. They refused to put another one in. The next morning the doctor was able to break my water so we were committed. 12hrs later I still wasn't even quite 3cm yet so for his convenience we went for a c-section.

His view is that my pelvic opening is too small to give birth vaginally so I am not even a candidate for a VBAC. Not to mention he doesn't do VBAC's. There are several hospitals in the county and the doctor has to be on the floor at all times while a VBAC is laboring. If somebody were to go into labor at a different hospital yet they are stuck with a VBAC woman, then it just wouldn't work out too well. So for this reason I went to a different doctor in a different county (actually the county I live in). She is willing to do a VBAC.

I'm excited about attempting a VBAC. I will soon start going to a chiropractor and I need to find a book on natural delivery. I will have to get an epideral put in place, just in case they have to rush me for a c-section, but even I want the medicine they wouldn't give me the whole amount because they need to me to feel if something goes wrong. I'm wanting go for as natural as possible and really feel as if I have found a doctor who respects my wishes.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
doulala
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM
Quoting elliesmommy404:

His view is that my pelvic opening is too small to give birth vaginally so I am not even a candidate for a VBAC. Not to mention he doesn't do VBAC's. There are several hospitals in the county and the doctor has to be on the floor at all times while a VBAC is laboring. If somebody were to go into labor at a different hospital yet they are stuck with a VBAC woman, then it just wouldn't work out too well. So for this reason I went to a different doctor in a different county (actually the county I live in). She is willing to do a VBAC.

I'm excited about attempting a VBAC. I will soon start going to a chiropractor and I need to find a book on natural delivery. I will have to get an epideral put in place, just in case they have to rush me for a c-section, but even I want the medicine they wouldn't give me the whole amount because they need to me to feel if something goes wrong. I'm wanting go for as natural as possible and really feel as if I have found a doctor who respects my wishes.

Hi there, welcome to the group, glad you're here!  And congratulations!!

:-D

Why would you need to be rushed for a cesarean?
If you are weighing risks, keep in mind that the more natural you labor, the less likely to have a cesarean. 

That epidural is more likely to cause you to have problems.    I wouldn't believe that old line about your pelvis, but IF it were true, lying down to labor is The Worst position, especially reclined in the typical epi/hospital bed position (flat would be better~).

:-)

You're braver than you believe. Stronger than you seem. And smarter than you think.

- Christopher Robin in Pooh's Grand Adventure

A healthy woman who delivers spontaneously performs a job that cannot be improved upon.

Aidan MacFarlane author of The Psychology of Childbirth (1977)

Technology has turned the fetus into
a patient, reducing the mother to being the 'maternal environment' and
preventing attachment until after the ultrasound has shown the fetus to
be 'normal.'

- Jennifer Hall

The
traditional midwife believes that birth proceeds in a spiral fashion:
labor starts, stops and starts, while the baby goes down, up and down,
and the cervix opens, closes and opens. Nature has no design for
failure; she holds her own meaning for success.

- Sher Willis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)