Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hello. I'm new and umm due any minute lol Important quuestion!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hello ladies

My 1st baby was born via c-section because she was breech, now this will be my 2nd baby, and I am 37 weeks but just meassured 40w1d  by an ultrasound, the Ob just informed me that my baby is about 7 1/2- 8 lbs, and that I might need a c-section because they expect me to deliver a 10 + baby. Now I have no problem with that, but they are really preassuring me since I am trying for a VBAC and their main concern is a uterine rupture... and! they won't induce my labor now, because they said that will put me at a higher risk for a uterine rupture... what should I Do?... How can I induce my labor naturally. and will it actually work on me since I am "supposed" to be only 37 weeks along?..

Thank You ladies!

by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roadfamily6now
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM

I love your picture!!!

I encourage you to join the VBAC Support Group here.

www.cafemom.com/group/1540

You can do this!  No matter how big anyone THINKS your baby is going to be, you can give birth vaginally. Do not consent to a c-section unless medically needed.

Tammy

Just let the bun bake, all ovens are different, that's why the package says "approximate baking time 40 weeks, ovens very adjust cooking times" Cell.o_0

Sunshine_246
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM

BUMP!

luvbeinmomma
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 1:17 AM

you should really join the "birth is normal" group here... They can really help you and give you tons of info.
They can be way off with birth weights by late U/S. They said my first was going to be 2+ lbs. Bigger than what he was and started talking induction 3 weeks before my EDD, at birth at 40.4 weeks he was 8 lbs.

palemoon21
by Member on Oct. 7, 2010 at 6:48 AM

U/S are not accurate. They can be off either way by 2lbs and 2 weeks.

If you want a VBAC don't allow them to scare you into csection. You can do this!

lundaylove
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM

ultrasounds are not accurate. they are always off. they said my son would be at least 9lbs,closer to 10 and he was 7lbs7oz when he was born. far off from what they thought and if i had had another csection cuz of it i would have been livid.i knew they were just trying to scare me into another csection, and i kept telling them no every time they had some excuse as to why it would be safer to have a csection. its never safer. the risk of uterine rupture is less than 1% ... even a women who's never had a csection could rupture so why have the larger risk (less than 3% but still) and go with a csection, major abdominal surgery? no thanks.

if you dont want a csection dont have one. you do not have to have one, no matter what they tell you. it is not illegal at all to say no. you have that right.

to me it sounds as if they arent too supportive of your want to have this baby vaginally and *i* would want to switch doctors, if that is not an option, just stand your ground and say no. let baby come when it wants to. Your body will not make a baby that is too big for you to deliver unless you have some deformity or wrongly healed break in your pelvis. You can do this the right way and thats not with another csection, or induction.

Cynthje
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Well since there is no reliable way to determine a babies size untill it is born AND there is no way to predict what size baby any woman can birth i would do nothing.

Even ACOG disagrees with early inductions or planned c-sections for those reasons. Honestly to me this sounds like a doctor that does not support VBAC and is trying to pressure you into another c-section.

I would be looking for a new doctor NOW and if i couldnt i would certainly not let this one pressure me into a c-section.

doulala
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM

What should you do?
I can say what *I* would do!
Get more information! 
Get another care provider!!

;- /

Hiring a surgeon for a vaginal birth is counter-productive...    
Regardless, you don't *have* to do what the surgeon prefers.   
Demand facts, ask questions and get thorough answers...     have your doctor write down the website that s/he refers to...

You can make your list of questions from what you can find off ICAN, Big Baby Bull, etc...

doulala
by on Oct. 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Things more likely to occur than Uterine Rupture
Written by Eileen Sullivan, with assistance from her husband, Patrick.

After checking, it seems I was a bit off on the frequency of deadly lightning strikes... you are more likely to suffer a rupture than to be struck and killed by lightning, by about thirty times.  Then again, how many people do you know who HAVE been struck and killed by lightning? <s>

Ruptures are also more common than dying in a plane crash.  Henci Goer's review of the literature on VBACs found 46 ruptures in 15,154 labors.  This equates to a 0.3% rate... or 1 in 333, if you prefer. Your annual risk of dying in a plane crash is 1 in 4000, according to one source, and 1 in 700,000 according to another.  I can't explain the massive discrepancy between the two figures, except to quote Mark Twain about "lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Since you asked, here are some more probability statistics for you:

Your risk of dying in a car accident, over the course of your lifetime, is between 1 in 42 and 1 in 75.  This is roughly 4 to 5 times greater than the risk of uterine rupture.

You're about twice as likely to have your car stolen (that's an annual risk) than to experience a uterine rupture.

Your odds of being murdered are 1 in 140 over the course of your lifetime.  That's 2 times more likely than the risk of rupture.

The annual risk of having a heart attack is 1 in 160, 2 times more likely than rupture.  Your risk of dying from heart disease is roughly 1 in 6, or 55 times greater than your risk of rupture.

If you're a smoker, your risk of dying from lung cancer is 1 and a half times more likely than a VBAC mom rupturing during her labor.

You're about 17 times more likely to contract an STD this year than you are to have a uterine rupture; more likely to contract gonorrhea than to rupture, as well.

You're 13 times more likely to get food poisoning than to rupture.

You're more likely to have twins than a uterine rupture.  Odds of twins:  1 in 90.  That's about 3 1/2 times the likelihood of rupture.

If you ride horseback, you're 3 times more likely to die in a riding accident than you are to experience a uterine rupture.

If you ride a bike on the street, you are 4 times more likely to die in an accident (annual risk) than you are to suffer a rupture.

Having a serious fire in your home during the next year is twice as likely as experiencing a rupture.

You're ten times as likely to win at roulette as you are to have a uterine rupture.

If you flip a coin, you'll be more likely to get heads (or tails) 8 times in a row than to rupture.

The risk of cord prolapse is 1 in 37 (2.7%), or nearly ten times more likely than that of rupture.

And a final irony (heads up, those of you who want a doc to give his/her opinion on your likelihood of rupture next pregnancy!)...

You're 6 times more likely to have a doctor who is an impostor than you are to suffer a rupture.  Two percent of docs are phonies (1 in 50), according to several sources I found.

So instead of worrying about rupture, why not take a few minutes to check up on your doctor's credentials? ;)  It'd be a more profitable use of your time, and a substantially more likely cause for alarm.

The risk of the uterus rupturing before labour (that would be before labour or before c/s) is about 2 in 1000; the risk of uterus rupturing during spontaneous labour is I believe 3-5 in 1000.  It is both the stretching of the uterus and the contractions pulling on the scar that cause risk.

The medical community has been very short sighted in terms of long term complications of c-section, and many of those risks include risks to future pregnancies.  Any pregnancy after c/s carries a slightly increased risk, and it is only slightly higher if you choose to VBAC.     (from VBAC moms group)

VBAC research info: 

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:17714683

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN