Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Care Facilities?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

My husband is new to the Army, and I've not got much experience with the medical care, but I'm super nervous about having my wishes not respected. How much more difficult is it to achieve a natural birth with a MTF then with civilian medicine? I am still early on (11wks) but want intervention free pregnancy and birth, I've not looked into a Midwife because we will be PCSing before the birth of the baby and we don't know where yet so it makes it impossible to find alternative care.  Has anyone dealt with a MTF and succeeded in natural prenatal/birth?

by on Oct. 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Oct. 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM

i have not yet had a natural birthyet, but i did have my son via vbac at the national naval medical center in bethesda md and while the ob i had seen duringmy pregnancy was very supportive, she did not deliver my son. you get who you get and its very hit or miss. the man that acted as my ob was rude, very rough, talked down to me, thought i was stupid for trying for a vbac, etc. it was not a good experience. had i had the original ob i think things would have gone easier i wouldnt have caved for the epi and things would have gone much better and i would have had the natural birth that i wanted. but you cant change the past. i am now very big on homebirths. tricare will even pay for the midwife, you just may have to switch to standard and find a midwife that will take tricare to do so. my next birth is going to be a UC cuz i dont trust docs anymore after my last experience, i want things to be in my control, no one elses, not even a midwives..

Just remember, its all hit or miss, so good luck!

vances_mom
by on Oct. 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM
DS was born at Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Japan. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't even close to natural or what I had hoped for (induction with Pit, epi, fentanyl, imediate cord clamping, antibiotics, etc). DD was accidentally born at home because I was trying to avoid going to Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune until the very last minute! The EMTs took me to the hospital about 30mins after she was born. The midwife on duty was nice enough, but they did the eye goop and Vit K eveb though I said I didn't want it. Then because she was a "big" baby (8.6lbs) they stick her for blood sugar every couple hours. Poor thing hated anything on her feet for months :( Any future babies will be born at home; either with a midwife that I click with or a UC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roadfamily6now
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 2:52 AM

I have, 3 times actually. It can be done. 

As a Doula I have supported many women in the Military and they all had med free births.

Where are you? It seems the west coast is MUCH better about natural labors then the East.  

Roadfamily6now
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Quoting vances_mom:

DS was born at Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Japan. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't even close to natural or what I had hoped for (induction with Pit, epi, fentanyl, imediate cord clamping, antibiotics, etc). DD was accidentally born at home because I was trying to avoid going to Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune until the very last minute! The EMTs took me to the hospital about 30mins after she was born. The midwife on duty was nice enough, but they did the eye goop and Vit K eveb though I said I didn't want it. Then because she was a "big" baby (8.6lbs) they stick her for blood sugar every couple hours. Poor thing hated anything on her feet for months :( Any future babies will be born at home; either with a midwife that I click with or a UC.

Good for you! That is the WORST hospital ever! I would not even want to die there it's that bad. 

Tammy

Just let the bun bake, all ovens are different, that's why the package says "approximate baking time 40 weeks, ovens very adjust cooking times" Cell.o_0

RugersMommy06
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I just argued with Tricare to be seen by a civilian.  We were at Camp Lejeune at the time. I had a midwife but she didn't make it in time for the delivery.  I had my 1st baby at the county hospital. Other than the nurse thinking I was a crazy 1st time mom when I walked in saying this baby would be here shortly--everything else went smoothly. She offered an epidural before I was even on the bed. I was already at 8cm.  Just stick to your plan and have somethere there for support. If you want natural, they can't force you into something else without your consent.

vances_mom
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM
Which one? NH CL or NH Yokosuka?

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Quoting vances_mom:

Good for you! That is the WORST hospital ever! I would not even want to die there it's that bad. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roadfamily6now
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Quoting vances_mom:

Which one? NH CL or NH Yokosuka?

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Quoting vances_mom:

Sorry, Camp Lejeune

Tammy

Just let the bun bake, all ovens are different, that's why the package says "approximate baking time 40 weeks, ovens very adjust cooking times" Cell.o_0

lundaylove
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM

ive heard lots of bad things about lejeune... so glad im doing a UC next time =)

vances_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM
Yeah... The anesthesiologist at the "birth class/hospital tour" said "Don't be a martyr, you don't get a medal for going natural"! Now that Olivia (the civilian MW) is gone, I have no hope for that place. 18 months ago, when I took the tour, their epidural rate was 87%!!! I'm anxious about being a doula out here, knowing that is what I'm up against... but I tell myself that women up against those odds need my help the most.

Quoting lundaylove:

ive heard lots of bad things about lejeune... so glad im doing a UC next time =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 8:44 PM

87% holy shit! wow.....that is crazy. they really do need some doulas! Josh still sorta wants me to have a MW, if we do itll be Olivia, but idk... i feel i need that control of a UC, you know?

Quoting vances_mom:

Yeah... The anesthesiologist at the "birth class/hospital tour" said "Don't be a martyr, you don't get a medal for going natural"! Now that Olivia (the civilian MW) is gone, I have no hope for that place. 18 months ago, when I took the tour, their epidural rate was 87%!!! I'm anxious about being a doula out here, knowing that is what I'm up against... but I tell myself that women up against those odds need my help the most.

Quoting lundaylove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)