Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My husband is new to the Army, and I've not got much experience with the medical care, but I'm super nervous about having my wishes not respected. How much more difficult is it to achieve a natural birth with a MTF then with civilian medicine? I am still early on (11wks) but want intervention free pregnancy and birth, I've not looked into a Midwife because we will be PCSing before the birth of the baby and we don't know where yet so it makes it impossible to find alternative care.  Has anyone dealt with a MTF and succeeded in natural prenatal/birth?

by on Oct. 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM
Replies (11-12):
ArmyWifey1981
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I know how you feel. I live on an Army post. I don't always like the medical care I receive here, but luckily when I did a tour of the birthing center, the head nurse took me on the tour and he was sooooo nice and answered all of my questions. He said they will respect my wishes of whether I want to try natural or do an epidural. He said if I try natural and can't even last 10 minutes due to pain, there will be no judgement. He said they try to do whatever they can to respect my birth plan. I asked if I could bring an exercise/birthing ball because I was told some hospitals don't allow it. He said they absolutely will allow it and they even had a few there. He showed me where everything was, including icepacks and hot packs, etc. I asked him about skin to skin immediately after birth and he said they fully support it and encourage it in fact. He said as long as the baby is healthy and there is no problems, they will ask me if I would like her put skin to skin right after as they're still cleaning her up, etc. They even encourage breast feeding as soon as possible if you're breast feeding. I'm still scared crapless, but I felt so relieved to hear him say those things :)

CafeMom Tickers
Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 12:27 AM

The Joint Medical Hospital At Elmendorf/Ft. Richardson, Anchorage Alaska has the highest VBAC rate in the US! Yeah! I'm very proud of that!

Most military hospitals do have CNM's on staff but like all military hospitals you get who is on call that day.  In my experience, they are very good to their moms.
Also, get a DOULA!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN