Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you been medically induced? Do you feel it was necessary?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM
  • 27 Replies

If you were induced for a medical reason in the past, would you do it again for the same reason, hypothetically?  
(Hopefully we don't have future complications)

by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jade812
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM
I've never been induced at the hospital with PIT or anything but, with DS#1 my water broke at 42.5 without so much of a twinge of a contraction for 23 hours so, I called my midwife and after a little more waiting I requested she strip my membranes and I started contracting within 2 hours. With DS#2 she did it at 41.5 weeks and 42 weeks (3cm both times) a few hours before my NST (which was scheduled for 10pm) she ate dinner at my house we went to the hospital and when I went to pee in the cup there was nothing but a HUGE bloody mucos plug in the cup and when I was hooked up to the monitor I was having some "ok" contractions but nothing I felt was "strong enough to consider REAL labor. The nurse came in and said "well, looks like you're in labor we might just have to keep you here." We both just looked at her and laughed. I said "my babies are born at home which is where I'm headed." I went home and straight to bed and woke up at 9am with real labor contractions finally.

I do consider membrane stripping an induction method but, I would never do it before 41 weeks and their would have to be a SERIOUS reason for me to have a hospital birth. I think it would have to be for something that NEEDS a c section right away more like a situation where there's no time for induction or filling out paperwork or even talking. To me if there's time for induction there's time to wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmomma2
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I was induced simply because I was 5 days past my DD and my doc told me he was doing me a favor.  I would never do it again unless it was absolutley necassary, wich obviously it wasnt at the time.  I had no complications at all and she was estimated to be average in size...not even a BS reason to induce.

peanut06
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I was induced with my first.  It was a medically acceptable reason for induction--known fetal demise.  Tiny blood clots had caused my placenta to stop functioning.  Stillbirths occur in about 1 out of 100 pregnancies, unfortunately.  I know dilation doesn't always mean anything, but I was 2 cm and 90% effaced already and having contractions before the pitocin was started.  After my AROM around 5-6 cm, I took one dose of dilaudid in my IV.  From the start of pitocin to delivery of my sweet little angel daughter, it lasted 4 hours.  If I had known then what I know now about correct breathing to enhance the contractions, it could have been an even quicker delivery.  My son's drug-free, non-induced labor was 4 hours from the start of contractions to birth, too! 

I know women used to deliver stillbirths, sometimes sort of knowing that the baby had passed away weeks before delivery, without inductions.  But, honestly, I think it was okay to get the closure.

Clara in KY

eccentric.gif picture by lilbean08  stewie2218814qr.gif picture by lilbean08 blinkies.gif picture by lilbean08
childletparenting.gif picture by lilbean08
Happy momma to two sweet daughters and one dear son

doulala
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Quoting Jade812:

I've never been induced at the hospital with PIT or anything but, with DS#1 my water broke at 42.5 without so much of a twinge of a contraction for 23 hours so, I called my midwife and after a little more waiting I requested she strip my membranes and I started contracting within 2 hours. With DS#2 she did it at 41.5 weeks and 42 weeks (3cm both times) a few hours before my NST (which was scheduled for 10pm) she ate dinner at my house we went to the hospital and when I went to pee in the cup there was nothing but a HUGE bloody mucos plug in the cup and when I was hooked up to the monitor I was having some "ok" contractions but nothing I felt was "strong enough to consider REAL labor. The nurse came in and said "well, looks like you're in labor we might just have to keep you here." We both just looked at her and laughed. I said "my babies are born at home which is where I'm headed." I went home and straight to bed and woke up at 9am with real labor contractions finally.

I do consider membrane stripping an induction method but, I would never do it before 41 weeks and their would have to be a SERIOUS reason for me to have a hospital birth. I think it would have to be for something that NEEDS a c section right away more like a situation where there's no time for induction or filling out paperwork or even talking. To me if there's time for induction there's time to wait.

Such a great point!
I was surprised to read you had membranes stripped after ROM, though.   Going inside tends to be avoided I think.     Had you tried any home remedies first?

doulala
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Quoting Bmomma2:

I was induced simply because I was 5 days past my DD and my doc told me he was doing me a favor.  I would never do it again unless it was absolutley necassary, wich obviously it wasnt at the time.  I had no complications at all and she was estimated to be average in size...not even a BS reason to induce.

Sounds pretty frustrating!
:-(

Yellow the bracken,
Golden the sheaves,
Rosy the apples,
Crimson the leaves,
Mist on the hillside,
Clouds grey and white,
Autumn good morning,
Summer, good night!

scarecrow        falling_leaves

doulala
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Quoting peanut06:

I know women used to deliver stillbirths, sometimes sort of knowing that the baby had passed away weeks before delivery, without inductions.  But, honestly, I think it was okay to get the closure.

Clara in KY

It seems understandable to want that closure by the means you feel is best.

natashaangel
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 12:07 AM

ive never been induced. i get mad when people get induced for no reason except because they can't wait. induction should only be available to those who actually need it. fetel demise, pre eclapsia(high blood pressure) even diabeties. but just cuz your a day past your due date and you don't want to wait any more? urg. sorry. i worked in an ob/gyn office for 3 yrs and had to schedule so many unneccesary inductions. and then when the hospital is too full and they cancel the induction, we have to hear it from the mothers about how much they cant wait and they have to get it now.

Jade812
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 1:30 AM
When my water broke it wasn't a huge gush. It was more of a pittering trickle. I did nipple stimulation, lots of walking and squating, I was already going to the chiropractor weekly and we also tried. A round of cohash. With no results. Including being stripped I was only checked 4 times during my whole labor once it got started. And that was another 24hours. I really have no complaints about the labor leading up to the delivery. The actual pushing part was rough. 2 hours of pushing in every position I could try. DS#1 was OP w/ a brow presentation.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting Jade812:

Such a great point!
I was surprised to read you had membranes stripped after ROM, though.   Going inside tends to be avoided I think.     Had you tried any home remedies first?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Yes i was, and the answer is HELL NO!!!  It was due to low fluid which is fixable but I didn't know

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I'm not sure if this is considered an induction but I ended up getting the epi at 24 hrs. Well you guessed it my labor completely stopped. Well instead of me opting to stop the epi (I didn't even think about it at the time) I was given pitocin. I will not let this happen again I had a very bad experience with the epi and it is not going to even be an option this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)