Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Have you been medically induced? Do you feel it was necessary?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you were induced for a medical reason in the past, would you do it again for the same reason, hypothetically?  
(Hopefully we don't have future complications)

by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Replies (21-27):
hillmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM

My first birth was induced with pit at 41 weeks. I was packing around 15+ lbs of water weight (swelling) and my OB said it was safe to induce. I was uneducated and accepted his decision. I was unable to have a birth with out pain medication, as I was confined to a bed and monitors. This led to 8 months of untreated PPD. Since then I have taken responsibility for my birth and my body. I discovered the wonders of herbs (no swelling my second pregnancy), the dangers of induction (luckily nothing went wrong the first time), and the power of home birth. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again

RugersMommy06
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM

It was offered before my due date and after. I was 5 days overdue (according to 2nd estimated due date)  I refused and said the baby would come when he was ready. I was pushed to induce because of being late & due to the quick labor I had with my 1st.  After my 10lb 4oz baby boy was delivered, I was sort of surprised no one had pushed the issue based on his size. I guess because I'd been so sick with the hyperemesis, they didn't think he'd grow so large. I know a lot of doctors don't think you can birth a "large" baby--large referring to over 9lbs according to my urologists office but I did & he came super fast when he was ready! I watched my friend in agony during her induction & I said "no way!" unless it was really warranted.

lundaylove
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

i guess i was. i was already 4cm but it was still early labor and i was just ready,so i thought. i was smart enough to know that a vbac was for me but i had nothing by way of a birth plan. i ended up having my son vaginally but not natural....after 2 hours of not dilating more, even after walking, they talked me into getting my waters broken. then i went to 6cm... then around 3hrs i hadnt changed and logans FHR would go down with contractions (normal i know now, then i did not) they tried to scare me with pitocin or a repeat csection. i chose pit. 7 hours later i had my son, after a slew of other issues with my "doctor" and his team. birth rape sums it uo well.

never again will i allow myself to get in that situation. my next and last birth will be a UC at home with my husband, children and a doula and maybe my mother.

vances_mom
by on Oct. 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM
I think I'm falling in *heart* with you, too! LOL :) your answer made me cry a little.

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Quoting Baby3inJanuary:

Haha, yes, I was induced at 38 weeks for absolutely no reason. I just deleted a whole novella on the terrible story. It's hard to tell part without getting into the entire trainwreck ending in a cesarean as my first entry to motherhood. They told me it was for medical reasons, of course. But on examination, that turns out to be completely bogus. Any old excuse would have done.
And every single thing they could do, to get that cesarean out me, they did. And they got their cesarean.

But they didn't get a repeat customer, and they didn't get a guaranteed cash cow in the form of another hapless, clueless mother queuing up to receive her next cesarean as a matter of course!

What they did get, was a woman who discovered the truth, about homebirth, about the safety of unmedicated HOME VBAC with an equipped homebirth midwife (versus the dangers of the OB's vision of VBAC in a hospital, hooked up to monitors and under pitocin and epidural) and have been really happy to have had an HBAC last time, and be planning another respectful, meaningful, safe homebirth again, this time.

The turning point in my path was when the "pro-VBAC" OB told me when asked, that she "couldn't allow" me to go past 40 weeks, and that inducing labor on a VBAC was not only perfectly safe (untrue) but that she "did it all the time" (RED FLAG).

That's when I knew exactly what I was dealing with and made the smartest decision I ever made, to leave obstetrics for higher ground, and go ahead and have that baby in the manner that happens when no one stops it or messes it up...vaginally.

Refusing to even consider being induced, because I knew all too well what a lie it was when they told me that it was just like natural labor, was what started my journey to homebirth. I'd never dream of being induced again. If a lifesaving emergency cesarean is required due to dire circumstances, then there is no time or room for induction anyway, so what possible justification for induction as medical necessity, could there be? If something happens to make you need to get the baby out NOW, it's a cesarean that's needed, not an induction. So I see inductions as nothing more than a prophylactic measure against imaginary things, that mostly just cause self-fulfilling prophecies of the need for medical intervention.

Did I ever tell you I {heart} you?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaQuinny
by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM
I was given pitocin after being in labor for 24 hours, my water had broken already and my labor was not progressing fast enough for the hospital, they have a 48 hour window after the water breaks before they have to deliver the baby for risk of infection and blah dee blahh! I howled for every contraction and had my baby 9 hours after they started the pitocin, WITH NO EPIDURAL jesus. I dont know if it was necessary... I wish I would have waited LONGER to go to the hospital I think I would have been fine. My muscles are just very tight from being an athlete and it probably would have taken me a little longer to dialate, but next time I will wait longer to go to the hospital and lie about when my water broke...
s_harden
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM
I was induced both times. The first time it was because the baby was "too big". My baby was not big at all but because I was young and scared, I agreed. My 2nd was due to low fluid and the baby was small to date. I would not do it again for the baby being to big unless they could show me I am have a 10 pounder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmissrebel
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I was induced with Pit, 4 days after my due date and with a NST that said baby was perfectly fine.  I will admit I was "ready" and I thought if there was any danger they wouldn't do it.  I was deff wrong, after he was born I found out there are dangers and felt so stupid for not researching sooner.  I didn't know about how much stronger it makes everything feel, and my unmedicated birth was out the window.  I wish I had not agreed to be induced, but its too late to take it back.  I will not do it again, my baby can bake ever how long it wants to!!  I am having this baby at home with a midwife who has told me baby will come when ready and shes not going to push anything on me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN