Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hiring a Doula

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM
  • 8 Replies

How would I go about doing this??

I have had 2 natural births.  Both pregnancies were perfectly healthy and normal, but unfortunately, it's not the story with this birth.

I was deemed a high risk pregnancy because I basically have a million and one issues, but the biggest issue I have/had is a history of pulmonary embolism & stroke.  My usual midwife reluctantly turned me away and apologized for not being able to care for me this time.  I spoke to other local midwives, none would care for me.

So I guess I'm stuck with the OBGYN's i'm going to.  They aren't supporters of my natural birth plan, and actually when I mentioned writing a birth plan for them, the OB told me not to waste my time, that this pregnancy isn't like the others I have had and things will go according to what safe for me first, what I want second. 

Their idea of safety is forcing me into induction.  I realize I can refuse refuse refuse . . . But I just feel so lost and as if I'm drowning in this pregnancy.  The only thing I can think of at this point is hiring a doula to help me keep my voice and help me stay calm, because I'm very very scared through all this.

How do I go about it?

by on Oct. 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
peanut06
by on Oct. 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM

BUMP!

Caroline2010
by on Oct. 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM

BUMP!

Pandapanda
by on Oct. 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM
If you were a california mama, I would offer my services free of charge. Perhaps Doulala will have some resources to share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Oct. 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM

BUMP!

dc2chik
by on Oct. 23, 2010 at 1:57 AM

There are many doula databases out there.  You can also just google "doula+your city/state"

I am an apprentice homebirth midwife, doula, childbirth educator, breastfeeding counselor, non-circ, cloth diapering, organic eating, future homeschooling, stay at home mom of two amazing children.

Roadfamily6now
by on Oct. 23, 2010 at 2:40 AM

doulamatch.net

Dona.com

childbirth international

Google

Good luck momma, I'm sorry you are feeling so trapped. Definitely find a few ladies you can talk to about this. Get lots of info about things and make an informed decision.

doulala
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Yes, you can always question anything that is suggested.    Get the risks & benefits, pros & cons, alternative options, and the amount of time you have to decide (privately discussing).

I have this list:

Want to locate a doula??

You can scan through:

http://dona.org/

www.findadoula.com

www.alldoulas.com

www.doulanetwork.com

www.maternitywise.com

http://www.bellywomen.net/

http://www.cappa.net

Childbirth International

Mothering.com Forums - Tribal area

even craigslist!

Even ask local midwives/prenatal yoga teachers/birth class teachers... I always see business cards on coffee shop boards, too!

• Doulas mother the mother.       :-)
  • Every woman who wants a doula should have one!      :-)
  • If you don't know your options you don't have any.      ~Korte & Scaer
  • If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.    -John H. Kennell, MD
  • Women's strongest feelings (in terms of their birthings), positive and negative, focus on the way they were treated by their caregivers.       ~Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin
  • labor is not about dilation.  Your body knows how to give birth whether or not you have a pelvic exam during labor.  Birthing women need encouragement to trust their bodies, and to be the stars of their own labors.     ~The Doula Guide to Birth

doulala
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Questions to Ask a Doula
The following questions will help you decide if a particular doula is right for you. 

For any doula:
What training have you had? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available?
May we meet her/them?
What is your fee, what does it include, and what are your refund policies? 

When interviewing a birth doula:
Tell me/us about your philosophy about childbirth and supporting women and their partners through labor.
May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me/us through childbirth?
May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
When do you try to join women in labor?
Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
Do you meet with me/us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions? 

When interviewing a postpartum doula:
Tell me about your experience as a postpartum doula.
What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
May we meet to discuss our needs and the role you will play?

What different types of services do you offer?
When do your services begin postpartum?
What is your experience in breast-feeding support?
Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test?
Do you have current CPR certification?

You may want to interview more than one doula to find the right one for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)