Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

contraction help (piog)

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM
  • 2 Replies

ok so im 36 weeks and almost 2 cm dilated and the dr doesnt think i will make it to next week i have been having contractions not very painful yet since friday and they are increasing in pain but very slowly, i was wondering if there are any home tips as to how i can get they to become stronger and help me along. thanks

by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
RugersMommy06
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I would wait until closer to 40 weeks.

peanut06
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Drink 2 large glasses of water and lie on your left side for about an hour.  Even the slightest amount of dehydration can cause pre-term contractions.

Now then, why hurry the process?  If you've already had at least one kiddo, your body is likely to have more contractions and be more easily dilated because your body already knows what to do.  Also, as I'm sure a few others may tell you, dilation isn't necessarily an indicator of anything happening.  I walked around at 4 cm for over 2 weeks with my 3rd little guy, having off and on regular contractions almost every day from 23 weeks (when I was 2 cm) until he was born at 38 weeks, 1 day, my first full-termer.

As to helping it along when it's really time, have you read Hypnobirthing:  The Mongan Method?  I used just one of the breathing techniques in there and it made the contractions more effective (stronger) but also shorter.  It's a quick read, so I'd try to read it if you can; I got mine on ebay but you could also try for a used copy on amazon.

Wishing you an easy delivery when baby is ready!
Clara

aptrustingheart.gif Attachment Parenting image by nemmer88 jeansandt.gif picture by lilbean08  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)