Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I doula, do you doula!? :)

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey lovely ladies,

This is part introduction, questions and randomness! My name is Brianna, I am married to a Marine and thats been our life for a long time... ;0) We have a 3 1/2 year old daughter, and we are finally pregnant with baby #2!! We recently found out that our little one is a Boy!! And I'm due sometime in March..

I've been a Birth Doula for 3 years now, my first birth was less than "natural" I had a NM, but she was not what I had expected, and couldn't switch due to the military... My husband was gearing up for a deployment to Iraq, well because of time tables, my husband was able to come home for 3 days over 4th of July in 2007.. We were induced... :( it was an awful experience.. My "midwife" pushed us into getting an Epidural... I was doing OK on the induction, but she told me that if I didn't get the epidural my husband wouldn't see his baby... He'd have to leave before she would come out.. And being in active labor, I listened... She came out.. I was numb.. I felt nothing.. Physically and emotionally.. I suffered from PPD for almost 2.5 years... (Oh and my husband left when she was 24 hours old.. He came home when she was one...)

After my daughters birth I went looking for more, I knew birth had to be more, special, important.. I found Doula's... I went to school and that is what I became.. :) And I've loved it.. After many miscarriages, between my kids, I thought we'd never have more kids, which made Doula-ing hard for me.. I still enjoyed it, but had an ever present heartache... My husband we deployed again this last year... He returned home after another year deployment in Afghanistan.. I decided to get in shape and live my life, and not focus so much on what I didn't have.. My husband came home in May 2010, I had lost 50lbs (so as you can imagine it was a shock for him! ;) And BOOM we we're pregnant a month later... ;)

Now I am 21 weeks pregnant, healthy, my baby boy is super active and life is getting better.. We're planning a Home water birth, the midwife we chose is amazing! And its hard to doula yourself, so we have hired on an amazing doula who has been my mentor since I started working in the birth business. We're very excited and blessed and pray for a wonderful home birth experience!!! :)

by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roadfamily6now
by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Welcome!

Doula's ROCK!

Tammy

5 VBACs and counting!
Certified Doula

"Birth is not an Emergency, it is simply an Emergence"
Jeannine Pavarti Baker

lundaylove
by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

welcome! ive not had a natural birth yet. but i am planning one for this june and my friend who is currently undergoind training to become a certified doula is going to take me on as her client and i couldnt be more excited about our 4th and last baby and the whole birthing experience =)

it is also my dream to become a doula too!

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2010 at 1:39 AM

So glad to have you here~  welcome!

And congratulations!

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Welcome!

Doula's ROCK!

I agree ;)

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Welcome!

Doula's ROCK!

I agree ;)

giving heart

• Doulas mother the mother.       :-)
  • Every woman who wants a doula should have one!      :-)
  • If you don't know your options you don't have any.      ~Korte & Scaer
  • If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.    -John H. Kennell, MD
  • Women's strongest feelings (in terms of their birthings), positive and negative, focus on the way they were treated by their caregivers.       ~Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin
  • labor is not about dilation.  Your body knows how to give birth whether or not you have a pelvic exam during labor.  Birthing women need encouragement to trust their bodies, and to be the stars of their own labors.     ~The Doula Guide to Birth

cali4niachef
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Congrats! I'm a doula too and having a home birth

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Quoting cali4niachef:

Congrats! I'm a doula too and having a home birth

Wonderful news!!

:-D

Yayyy!   Congrats!!

RugersMommy06
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Congrats & Semper Fi!

ArmyWifey1981
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I'm Malea, nice to meet you :) . I'm also going to try a natural birth. We live on an Army post in the middle of nowhere, so I don't think I will be able to find a doula. Heck, I had to go to a town 45 minutes away just to take a child birthing class since the hospital on post doesn't have one. I would like to have a tub at the hospital, not for a water birth, but just to relieve some pain but I don't think they have one. I took a tour of the hospital and they have birthing balls though so that's good. I think I will bring my own ball just in case it's really busy that day. I'm very NERVOUS but excited.

Bjoycassell
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM

i want a doula but can't find one, I don't think they exist in my area

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)