Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

breaking BOW to relieve pain/ pressure?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

My last midwofe broke my bag of waters a half hour into my pushing  stage because I had such bad back and pelvic pain, and she said it would releive that a little.  I cant be sure if it did, because it also did speed labor and made it all much more intense....lol.  My new midwife (changed only because my old one moved away)  said a similar thing, because as we were going over my birth plan, I included i dont want it broken.

Is it true?  We already do anticipate a painful labor because of my pelvis and prominent tailbone (i have been seeing a chiro to address these issues)...  so I wonder if anyoe eknows if that may help or if I should just leave it be?

by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM

It made the pressure and pain worse for me, when mine broke. Luckly the pushing started about 15mins after it broke though!

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I guess it's possible but I dont know.

natashaangel
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I had back labor with each of my births and with the first two they broke my water and it didn't help at all. I didn't let them break it with my third. it broke as i was pushing the baby out.

doulala
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 1:55 AM

I don't think this is generally a safer idea.   Maybe it will feel better (?), but adds risks.   And should baby be a little "crooked" in there (malpositioned), it can cause back labor.    A little extra cushion of fluid is helpful to allow baby into the ideal position before / during labor.

Since you did not experience the relief you were planning for, it sounds like a non-successful attempt.  
I would get the midwife to explain why she agrees with that idea.    She is thinking of something we don't know about I expect.  
Or she likes "natural" nudges...    ?

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 3:11 AM

I can see how it may work because the addition fluid will push on you harder while pushing and in some cases breaking the water can help propel the baby out but usually at that point your water will break on its own, I dunno I would go without because pushing doesn't always take very long

VelvetCat
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Well, this is my second midwife and they both have said the same thing?

I dont know...  It sure did make my contractions go faster.. Ill tell ya that.  I am really considering just not having it done, and my midwife now is fine with that.  I just really am worreid about my pain this time around.  My pelvis and tailbone are bound to give me problems, and I will do ANYTHING to releive it...  SO I just waned to knwo if anyone knew about it helping or not.

Quoting doulala:

I don't think this is generally a safer idea.   Maybe it will feel better (?), but adds risks.   And should baby be a little "crooked" in there (malpositioned), it can cause back labor.    A little extra cushion of fluid is helpful to allow baby into the ideal position before / during labor.

Since you did not experience the relief you were planning for, it sounds like a non-successful attempt.  
I would get the midwife to explain why she agrees with that idea.    She is thinking of something we don't know about I expect.  
Or she likes "natural" nudges...    ?

VelvetCat
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM

My pushing took up 1.5 hours of my 2 hour labor....  I kept stopping because the pain was so much.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I can see how it may work because the addition fluid will push on you harder while pushing and in some cases breaking the water can help propel the baby out but usually at that point your water will break on its own, I dunno I would go without because pushing doesn't always take very long

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Quoting VelvetCat:

My pushing took up 1.5 hours of my 2 hour labor....  I kept stopping because the pain was so much.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

was the baby posterior? I really dunno, if it were me I wouldn't do it because an intact bag is a good thing and breaking it can cause more pain at least for me it does. 

VelvetCat
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM
no he wasnt posterior. it was getting him down through my pelvis and around my tailbone. . and then the ring of fire. . .. omg. also he did come out with his arm up by his head. that didnt help .. .. lol.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting VelvetCat:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

was the baby posterior? I really dunno, if it were me I wouldn't do it because an intact bag is a good thing and breaking it can cause more pain at least for me it does. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Quoting VelvetCat:

no he wasnt posterior. it was getting him down through my pelvis and around my tailbone. . and then the ring of fire. . .. omg. also he did come out with his arm up by his head. that didnt help .. .. lol.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting VelvetCat:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Aha I am going to guess it was his hand, and as for the tailbone thing if you rock your hips while pushing or start on hands and knees then squat that can help get past the tailbone without the need to break your water. Also if you can do it in water the ring of fire is less from what I have heard and after laboring in the water I can see how.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN