Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

? for waterbirthers

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

Was it weird or gross feeling having all the blood and gunk in the water with you afterwards?

I would love a waterbirth but I think I would make them drain the tub and rinse everything right away, I hate feeling yucky and afterbirth is the worst yucky feeling for me.  

by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I don't really think there is much gunk --really.   And it's cleaned out as it comes, if it comes...  
And meeting your baby(!) and feeling that "It's all over now, phewww!!" feeling is pretty distracting anyhow, hehe.

:-D

TattooMommy143
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM

i didn't notice any blood or gunk, but of course once my little girl was in my arms i saw nothing but her :-)

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I have watched a lot of birth videos that happen in water and there really is not much gunk. I'm sure that no one would have an issue with you changing out the water!

And get a fish net for scoping out any weird stuff.

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2010 at 8:15 PM
I had 2 water births. I remember my midwife doing a quick scoop while I was pushing with the first. But my dh, who was reallllly worried about the mess, was shocked there really wasn't any noticeable mess. With the second water birth, my midwife was shocked I seemed to have no bleeding at all, since it was my 4th baby. Both times, I got out of the water to deliver the placenta.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I have watched a lot of birth videos that happen in water and there really is not much gunk. I'm sure that no one would have an issue with you changing out the water!

And get a fish net for scoping out any weird stuff.

well we have plenty of fishnets in this house lol

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 3:18 AM

lol

Yes I have been to and had my own water births: There is a net with an extended handle JUST for that purpose!

;-)

palemoon21
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Well during labor we used a net for any "floaters" and RIGHT after he came out there wasn't much blood/guts in the pool. It wasn't weird until after birth and after getting out. Once it was all said and done (before my SO emptied the pool) I saw what it looked like and I was pretty disturbed. However, I did hemmorage so there was a "little bit" more blood in there then normal.

MamaKalila
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Honestly I don't remember it really... the yucky part that is lol. I know it was there from pics at the end, but I wasn't focused on it at all.

Pandapanda
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM

My water broke in the tub, and all it did was make the water feel a little waxy. I was pulled out of the tub after my son's head came out, because he was stuck so I didn't get to float with my "gunk". lol

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:41 AM

I just don't think it's so bad...   It is like taking a regular bath...

IF something should come out, it is scooped up in the fishnet asap.   Typically before mom ever knows.

At the end of labor, when mom is in transition, then pushing, she is pretttty focused inward.
Moments later she is checking out her new BABY!!!      Sort of distracted.   lol

So if there is stuff in the water it's easily rinsed off the mom shortly after.     IF she cares.

;-)

And yes, you can empty the water through labor, but I haven't seen anyone have a need for this.   
You can if you wanted.    But I think moms would prefer the soothing gentle warmth of the water than to get out while water is changed out~~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)