Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Marijuana consumption by pregnant women may reduce infant mortality rate - more study needed

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM
  • 28 Replies

Have you guys read about this??

The breakdown:

A total of 2,964 babies were drug-tested at birth to see if they were positive for drugs – cocaine, opioids or cannabis were studied. 44% of the infants tested positive for all varieties of drugs, including the 3 being studied. During the first two years of their lives, 44 babies from the original group died. Since statistics are a drag to slog through, I’ll cut right to the chase – the deaths per thousand live births – the numbers tell the story.

“No drugs at birth” deaths……. 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

“Cocaine positive” deaths…….17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

“Opiate positive” deaths…….18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

“Cannabis positive” deaths…. 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births [5]

The cocaine and opiate babies have a higher death rate than the “No drugs” babies – that was to be expected. But look at the “cannabis” babies! Having extra cannabinoids in their bodies at birth (and likely later, from 2nd-hand exposure, or breast milk) seems to have some sort of a protective effect. The “cannabis” infants have a mortality rate almost half of what the “No drugs” infants have!

READ MORE HERE - http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june272010/marijuana-infants-sc.php

and HERE - http://stash.norml.org/marijuana-consumption-by-pregnant-women-may-reduce-infant-mortality-more-study-needed

haha...I couldn't resist. 

This is another study performed in Jamaica with equally startling results. This one is done specifically with women who used different amount of marijuana and follows the children through the years to see how it effected them. 

by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I think I will pass and just stick to making good choices throughout pregnancy and infancy 

gypsyjewels
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I wouldn't categorize using marijuana as a "bad" decision. It's medicine.

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Quoting gypsyjewels:

I dont take medicine while pregnant unless not doing so will hurt the baby, even then I am leery of it. 

palemoon21
by Member on Nov. 14, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Wow...that's interesting. :)

gypsyjewels
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I actually feel the same as you - but that is why i support more study on this. Marijuana is natural and it is far safer than most pharmaceuticals. Even asprin kills more people every year than marijuana....because no one has ever died of marijuana.  So, that being said, it might actually be the best decision for some. 

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting gypsyjewels:

I dont take medicine while pregnant unless not doing so will hurt the baby, even then I am leery of it. 

Crowning Lotus Doula Services

Labor Support For A Better Birthing Experience

www.crowninglotus.com

Nursing Clips - Buddy Blankets - Nursing Bracelets - Milkie Cookies (cookies to promote healthy lactation)

www.willowmoonspirit.etsy.com 

Pandapanda
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM
I'll take a pass, but i'd love to see more studies on this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I'd be really curious to see what other effects might be triggered by using pot during pregnancy.

I have 3 family members who's mom definitely smoked pot while pregnant and ALL 3 are autistic. Could her drug usage been the catalyst?

gypsyjewels
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I doubt it. I think that if there were truly any adverse effects from using marijuana in pregnancy or otherwise we would have figured it out by now. Marijuana - unlike ANY other medication on the market - has been used by people all over the world for thousands of years. 

I especially doubt it if ALL three of these kids turned out Autistic simply from marijuana use. I don't think lightning would strike three times on this. Would be curious to know if they did get pitocin during their labor though because it is linked to autism in kids. 

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I'd be really curious to see what other effects might be triggered by using pot during pregnancy.

I have 3 family members who's mom definitely smoked pot while pregnant and ALL 3 are autistic. Could her drug usage been the catalyst?

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM

only one labor had pit, the other 2 were c-section. I'm sure there was a lot more going the tipped these kids over the edge.

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM
There was an article a few years back in "Mothering" magazine about a mom who used marijuana for her debilitating morning sickness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN