Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Marijuana consumption by pregnant women may reduce infant mortality rate - more study needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you guys read about this??

The breakdown:

A total of 2,964 babies were drug-tested at birth to see if they were positive for drugs – cocaine, opioids or cannabis were studied. 44% of the infants tested positive for all varieties of drugs, including the 3 being studied. During the first two years of their lives, 44 babies from the original group died. Since statistics are a drag to slog through, I’ll cut right to the chase – the deaths per thousand live births – the numbers tell the story.

“No drugs at birth” deaths……. 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

“Cocaine positive” deaths…….17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

“Opiate positive” deaths…….18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

“Cannabis positive” deaths…. 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births [5]

The cocaine and opiate babies have a higher death rate than the “No drugs” babies – that was to be expected. But look at the “cannabis” babies! Having extra cannabinoids in their bodies at birth (and likely later, from 2nd-hand exposure, or breast milk) seems to have some sort of a protective effect. The “cannabis” infants have a mortality rate almost half of what the “No drugs” infants have!

READ MORE HERE - http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june272010/marijuana-infants-sc.php

and HERE - http://stash.norml.org/marijuana-consumption-by-pregnant-women-may-reduce-infant-mortality-more-study-needed

haha...I couldn't resist. 

This is another study performed in Jamaica with equally startling results. This one is done specifically with women who used different amount of marijuana and follows the children through the years to see how it effected them. 

by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM
Replies (21-28):
MomOf2winsPlus1
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM

1 Department of Pediatrics and Department of Socio-Medical Sciences and Community Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and School of Public Health, Boston City Hospital, Boston

A study of 1,690 mother/child pairs at Boston City Hospital was conducted to assess the impact of maternal alcohol consumption on fetal development when confounding variables were controlled. Level of maternal drinking prior to pregnancy was associated with shorter duration of gestation. Lower maternal weight change, history of maternal illnesses, cigarette smoking, and marijuana use, however, were more consistently related to adverse fetal growth and development. New findings in this study include a negative association between maternal marijuana use during pregnancy and fetal growth. Also when confounding variables were controlled, women who used marijuana during pregnancy were five times more likely to deliver infants with features considered compatible with the fetal alcohol syndrome.

http://www.motherisk.org/prof/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=336

Postnatal mortality. The mortality rate during the first 2 years of life was determined in 2964 infants. About 44% of the infants tested positive for drugs: 30.5% tested positive for cocaine, 20.2% for opiates, and 11.4% for cannabinoids. Mortality rates among the cannabinoid-positive group and the drug-negative group were not significantly different (P >.3).7

7.Ostrea EM Jr, Ostrea AR, Simpson PM. Mortality within the first 2 years in infants exposed to cocaine, opiate, or cannabinoid during gestation. Pediatrics 1997;100(1):79-83.

So, from what I've seen on medical websites is that smoking dope doesn't actually increase the infant mortality, but it also does NOT decrease it.  I read things about different diseases that *may* be caused from early exposure to marijuana, but more testing needs to be done for them to know for sure.  Also, I read time and time again that it is more common for children to have sleep and behavioural problems at 3 years of age.

The truth is, that I do agree that there are times that marijuana CAN BE a medicine.  But since there are KNOWN safe medicines out there for pregnancy that are also LEGAL, why risk your baby's future so you can get high?  We have 40 weeks of our lives to give our children the best start in life.  That's it.  No one needs to be encouraged to go out and score a bag of green when they're pregnant.  And it's sad that people feel so good about doing what they want to do, dispite not knowing what could end up happening to their baby down the line.  I can't stress enough that we only have 40 weeks to do this right.  IMO, if you can't grow up and stop getting high for even that long, maybe you aren't ready to have kids. 

I smoked dope for 13 years before I got pregnant with my twins.  I stopped before I took that last step that I knew could very well land me with a baby.  (I had to take fertility.)  Because I don't think children are a right.  I think they are a gift...and being a parent isn't a job to be taken lightly.  I was raised by one alcoholic and one pot head.  Both were equally terrible parents, in two totally different ways. 

I wanted my kids to get the best mom I could be.  And if I didn't think I could be that mom without getting high, I wouldn't have had them.  Where I live, you can lose your kids for having pot in your bloodstream.  Why would anyone risk that?  I wouldn't.  My children are my life, and they deserve a mom who's not high.

And you said that no one has ever died from smoking pot.  I don't know, I never looked it up, and I'm pretty sure you didn't either.  But I think we both know that people die BECAUSE of pot all the time.  And I think that when people associate with growers and sellers, we bring potential dangers into our lives.  And when you have children, you should be AVOIDING those dangers at all costs.  Your children deserve better. 

I'm sure you also know people who have gone to prison over pot.  I know I do.  And I know that before they ended up in prison, their houses were raided by RCMP and SWAT, all of which carried rifles and smashed down their bedroom doors while they slept.  Imagine your child in that situation.  Terrified.  Do you think that the cops know which room your child is sleeping in?  Nope.  And they'd smash their door down too, and point a rifle at them too.  Because that's their job.

All of the excuses in the world aren't enough to convince me that smoking dope while pregnant or when you have children is okay.  Because until it is proven to be 100% safe, and it becomes 100% legal, it's NOT okay. 

Non-vaxxing, co-sleeping, natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, non-circumcising, attachment parentingbaby-wearing SAHM of b/g twins and one on the way!

gypsyjewels
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Marijuana is a much safer alternative to some medications that I pregnant woman would otherwise be prescribed. This is just a study - I am only sharing information. No one is telling anyone to "get high" while pregnant. 

Now, I don't know how many people I could count in my circle of friends and family alone who had to go off psych or pain meds once they become or are trying to become pregnant. Marijuana can be an excellent herb to get them through this. 

We can't just discount the benefits because we are so stuck on the idea that "people are getting high".  Most people who smoke for any real amount of time don't even get "high". Most could be "high" in front of anyone and they would have no idea unless they told them. You can't say the same for any other drug out there (legal or not). 

We should also remember that marijuana has been used by people all over the world for thousands of years. We actually probably know more about it than any other drug on the market...and if there were any crazy negative cause and effects from marijuana I think we would have figured it out by now. Especially considering it would be the best news ever for the government and big pharm...the truth is, most of the studies that have been government sponsored do not come out with the results that they desired so it get's swept under the carpet like it never happened. So, it isn't that we haven't been testing it - more like the people who want to keep it illegal don't like the results it gets. 

Now, that being said, I understand that marijuana isn't for everyone. Like I said in another group - even if it was made legal today and recommended to pregnant women, you still wouldn't have to use it. It's more about opening out minds to these studies and understanding that it wouldn't be that "far out there" for marijuana, a natural growing herb, might be good...and then encouraging more studies such as this. 

Just because it is illegal now doesn't mean it should be. Sometimes the system is wrong.

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I agree with all of you in part.
I do not disagree that Marijuana can be helpful. Research has proven that for certain things, it is extremely helpful. Like nausua. So there are certainly times during a pregnancy when it can be a good thing and not as harmful as other drugs or remedies.

However, I'm sure that NO ONE here is talking about those people that ABUSE marijuana. Just like most things, if used in excess, it can pose great risks.

Momma of Twins is so acurate when she says we only have 40 weeks to help form this person into the best they can be. 40 weeks! I have known too many women that refused to stop their risky and potentially damaging behavior and actually care more about the person they are growing inside of them then they do for their own desires (ie; drugs and alcohol, etc)It makes me so mad but what can we do?

Be wise, be careful and take care of that baby. :)

campomommy
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM

this is really cool. i agree that pot is natural and safe, but im not a user. im paranoid of getting caught for one lol. more study should be done. although it doesnt matter much if it is never legalized..

cassie_m
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

very interesting and makes alot of sense. i have met hundreds of people that swear that thier children with whome they used marijuana during pregnancy are by far smarter than thier kids they did not use with. i have also read a study that showed that useing marijuana stimulates brain cell growth. i dont know the link to that one but i will try to find it and post it.

pixiefunk
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM

This is just like my friend. She smoked through all 3 of her pregnancies, all children are fine.

And I think we as a species(or whatever the heck) have been doing this for long enough to have adapted to tolerate x amount of exposure even during pregnancy.

But I would totally during labor(If I didn't have horrible bad nasty reaction to weed). It makes total sense, the "calmer"(read stoned) you are the "easier"(read more fun) labor might be!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

There was an article a few years back in "Mothering" magazine about a mom who used marijuana for her debilitating morning sickness.

Full-time working,Hypnobabies using(sort of), Natural Homebirth Having, Cloth Diapering, Extended BFing(domeperidone use), goat's milk supplementing, and pumping(pia!) , babyfood making, organic feeding(when not making the food), ?vaxing(maybe/non yet), Non Circing!!, babywearing(love it!), ERFing, partial cosleeping, non-cio(seriously bad stuff ) generally attached crazy person who happens to also be a mom. baby in slingbreastfeeding

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

There was an article a few years back in "Mothering" magazine about a mom who used marijuana for her debilitating morning sickness.

I have that and have shared it with others several times.
:-)
That article really moved me into a new light.

IMO, it's best to avoid unnecessary risks across the board.  
If a mom needs medicine of some sort or another then she will weigh her pros and cons.
I can't say I definitely would never do this.   But feel fortunate that I never have had the need for intervention because I would prefer not to.   I am not a pot smoker and wouldn't feel comfortable starting while pregnant, lol.    But if I had to look into my options this would be one.

Thanks for sharing!

:-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

cassie_m
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

i agree that it is safer than what we are prescribed. i threw my back out last montha nd was prescribed vicodin and flexoril.......ummmm marijuana does both of those things, helps with pain and relaxes muscles, without narcotics!!!!!it is very obvious that narcotics are far more dangerous than marijuana!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)