Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Testing during pregnancy?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM
  • 6 Replies

I had the glucose test done.. it was awful! The drink made me so sick and so tired, and from that point on I think I never really recovered from the tiredness. Thinking about the drink makes me cringe! I will not be doing it next time.

Did anyone else do the "routine" testing during pregnancy? How did they turn out, and will you be doing the tests next time around?

by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DixieFlower
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I can't do the GTT so my OB does A1C's (a blood test that will give your blood sugar avg over the past few months) twice, once during the second trimester than again during the third trimester. I did do the GBS test my first pregnancy. My most recent pregnancy I refused the GBS. I refused the quad screening.

RugersMommy06
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Me too. The nurse was really nice about it, saying she agreed especially if we would keep the baby no matter what was wrong. The doctor though (not one I saw regularly) thought it was a mistake and tried scaring me. She said they need to know if something is majorly wrong so they could have deliver at a larger hospital. I told her my husband & I believed if there was a problem we would see it on the ultrasound or the baby would not have made it this far.

Quoting DixieFlower:

I can't do the GTT so my OB does A1C's (a blood test that will give your blood sugar avg over the past few months) twice, once during the second trimester than again during the third trimester. I did do the GBS test my first pregnancy. My most recent pregnancy I refused the GBS. I refused the quad screening.

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

The only routine tests that I did is the blood panel at your first appt, the urine tests at each apt, and I demanded a GBS test because they were trying to just say I was positive which was crap. 

palemoon21
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM

This last pregnancy I did not do ANY testing.....with the exceptionof the inital bloodwork on the first dr visit.

I stopped seeing an OB in my 2nd trimester and did my own prenatal care....and had my first UC a few months later. :)

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Ugh, I hate that stuff! If it was my pregnancy, I would not do any of it unless there was a reason for doing it, like I was peeing protein or sugars or my fundal height was really off the charts, etc. 

There is a lot you can tell by having a GOOD care provider that specializes in normal pregnancy and birth and learning to listen to your body.

Tammy

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick."

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

ArmyWifey1981
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I took the test. I didn't like the drink, but it wasn't too bad for me. Mine was fruit punch flavor and one person told me she had a root beer flavor and that would probably gross me out.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)