Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do OB's tell a mom to come to the hospital as soon as their water breaks?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

Anyone?

Tammy

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick."

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Under the Medical Model system, it's more like an assembly line, lol.    Knowing and trusting in the individual is rare, if not impossible!    So care providers have to apply the same prevention standards for everyone, rather than take the time to consider the various, unique factors.

(I do think that women need to consider several details after her water breaks, but by all means, avoid going in to "get checked" as much as is possible...)

With the midwifery model of care, one person is intimately familiar with the mom-to-be.     They have become close over the months and so the MW has a better understanding of the unique scenario.   So less likely to jump to worse-case scenario conclusions.

I had PROM and was VERY glad not ot be in OB care.   I am positive I would have had a bad induction (because I wasn't ready to deliver) and so possibly a cesarean.
(*Maybe this is why I am a big VBAC advocate, even though I have only had vaginal births, lol.)

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem;
doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!     
~Barbara Harper

Pandapanda
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Unless the water breaks really early on, when considered pre-term, I don't understand why it's such an emergency!

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I am going to guess that they presume that all women with an early break will end up with cord prolapse or an infection which is not the case.  

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I know my OB said she prefers that mom come into the hospital when her water breaks so she can be monitored for signs of infection. However, if a mom tells her they'd prefer to labor at home as long as possible she will tell them what those signs of infection are and if any of them show up then mom needs to get to the hospital. I had PROM with my first. My water literally broke right before my 40wk appt. I wasn't sure if that was what happened when I got out of the car but once I was at the appt it was confirmed. My OB told me that I might want to get to the hospital. I told her I had things I needed to do at home first. She said okay how long. I told her a few hours. She said okay I will see you later at the hospital. I went to the hospital 4hrs after my water broke. DS was born 31 hrs after my water broke. I was lucky in the fact that not once did my OB put me on a clock. Not once did she even say the word C-section.

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 17, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I am going to guess that they presume that all women with an early break will end up with ~ an infection which is not the case.  

So, how would a mom get in infection after her water is broken and can we do anything to prevent that?

"who exactly are you upsetting? Cause if you are not upsetting anyone, you're not changing the staus quo!"   Seth Godin

Northern Blessings Doula     

VBAC Support and Information

Alaskan Surrogacy Resources

palemoon21
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I am going to guess that they presume that all women with an early break will end up with cord prolapse or an infection which is not the case.  

This as well as the fact that they believe it's the onset of active labor.

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I am going to guess that they presume that all women with an early break will end up with ~ an infection which is not the case.  

So, how would a mom get in infection after her water is broken and can we do anything to prevent that?

well I know that she would get the infection from people sticking their hands up there, and not sticking hands up there and taking a lot of vitamin c will help with infection. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)