Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

WOW! (stolen from other group)

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM
  • 6 Replies

Witch Hazel Uses
http://www.natures-treatments.com/witch-hazel.htm

Uses for 1Witch hazel can be used as an acne treatment.
Since it's an astringent, witch hazel can be used to tighten up and dry your skin. This helps get rid of an acne-riddled complexion and make way for clearer skin. Witch hazel will minimize large facial pores, so that means less gunk can get caught in them, which means less acne and less blackheads. The witch hazel will also remove excessive oils from your skin, which will get rid of acne faster and help prevent acne in the future. The natural anti-inflammatory properties of witch hazel will also help reduce the swelling and redness that comes with the most massive of zits.

Uses for 2Witch hazel can also be used to treat hemorrhoids. Natural anti-inflammatory properties of witch hazel can provide much relief for those with hemorrhoids. Not only can it reduce inflammation of a vein, but it can also help soothe the pain that invariably comes with it. Witch hazel can be taken in several forms for this, including lotions, creams, and even suppositories. Pick your poison, as the expression goes, and those natural witch hazel astringent properties will do their magic: reduce that swelling. Just think--no more inner tube at the movies for you!

Uses for 3Diarrhea and bleeding ulcers can be treated with witch hazel tea. Those astringent properties come in handy, particularly when it comes to diarrhea, bleeding ulcers, and general stomach-flu symptoms. So, when your digestive tract is going all wonky, a dose of witch hazel can help get rid of those nasty symptoms. It will help constrict the blood vessels that are bleeding and prevent the mucous membranes from producing excessive mucous, which can irritate the intestines, causing inflammation and diarrhea. Witch hazel can be particularly helpful concerning Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which can be difficult to treat and can truly inhibit a person's day-to-day lifestyle.

Uses for 4Witch hazel tea can also be used as a laryngitis treatment. Laryngitis is a painful inflammation of the larynx that can cause a sore throat, coughing, swollen lymph nodes, and difficulty swallowing. Ick, right? But the same properties that allow witch hazel to treat hemorrhoids can also help treat laryngitis. Drinking witch hazel tea will reduce swelling and inflammation while helping to provide some pain relief. While the primary cause of laryngitis, such as an infection, may still need to be treated, witch hazel can go a long way to help get rid of a sore throat, raspy cough, and all of the other painful symptoms that accompany laryngitis.

Uses for 5As a topical treatment, witch hazel treats many skin problems like psoriasis, eczema, bruises, and sores. OK, so it won't cure green skin, but it'll cure a lot of other things. Use witch hazel as a compress for bruises, sprains, and strains. It will help speed recovery and increase healing, as well as get rid of swelling and inflammation. It will accelerate healing for mild burns. Witch hazel can also help get rid of the swelling, irritation, and occasional discharge that comes with psoriasis and eczema. Many topical remedies containing witch hazel can be found at your local drugstore. And many of these come in the form of lotions, soaps, and skin creams that moisturize dry, flaky skin.

More Uses for Witch Hazel

But wait! There's more! That's right, for no additional cost, witch hazel will also treat a variety of other symptoms, maladies, illnesses, aches, skin breaks, contusions, and poo problems. That includes, but is not limited to, insect bites, mild allergic reactions, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, poison ivy, mild burns, scrapes, cuts, cold sores, sore throats, unduly heavy menstrual bleeding, vaginal irritation, bleeding gums, diaper rash, insect stings, swollen and puffy eyes, dry skin, cracked and calloused feet, blisters, nose bleeds, oily skin, and even stinky armpits. Just find the form you need it in--be it powder, cream, suppository or pad, witch hazel is a good treatment for many symptoms.

For the health concerns of the very young to the elderly, witch hazel really does have a lot to offer as one of the oldest natural remedies available in the United States. And, as its name suggests, witch hazel even has properties from before its time as a natural treatment, before the old-wives' remedies.... Some have said that witch hazel has magical properties and can even heal a broken heart. Personally, I think anything that can get rid of acne, treat hemorrhoids, and relieve PMS doesn't need magical properties, or be able to heal a broken heart. In fact, it had me at "acne."

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Pandapanda
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Oh my, I may try to wipe down my son with my witch hazel wipes. We have tried literally everything to get his eczema to calm down.

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM

hunh!

I should keep some in the house!

;-)

thanks!

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 3:04 AM
wow that is cool
Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I have always known about the hemorrhoids but not about the acne! My DD has it bad. I'll go get some today and we will give it a go.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I LOVE witch hazel!! :) Now I have many more reasons :)

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM
In another life I sold Clinique and the Clarifying lotion (like toner) had witch hazel in it. I am noticing it often on labels.

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I have always known about the hemorrhoids but not about the acne! My DD has it bad. I'll go get some today and we will give it a go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)