Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

PPD

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

I don't see PPD talked about often, it's not one of the "fun" parts of the post-partum period.

Have you had PPD before? How did you manage it? How are you preparing for it in the future?

If you haven't, do you have a plan in case you do in the future?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Fightclmembr
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM
I had it...tried the mess for a week...but they made me soooo tired, which was counter productive. So I threw them out and went to therapy.

This time I will just seek therapy.

I really feel that BFing helped the most though! And there's no way I'd plan on anything but bfing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I've been having a really hard time the last few months, so I've finally decided to talk to my midwife about how i'm feeling.. hopefully it goes well. =\

Kittynip
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I was really curious about this as well! Personally I've never had it, but after our first son was born my husband was hit by PPD pretty hard. I have no idea what it feels like so I did my best to let him know that I was there for him without making him feel as though I didn't trust him alone with our son but I have no idea what he really needed. So my question is what do you need, support wise? Do you need extra help with the child, more emotional support, someone to talk to?? I felt so bad not knowing how to comfort him :(

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I'm more likely to have depression (family and personal history) . After the traumatic birth of my first child I had PPD. The problems was I wouldn't admit I had it. It took 8 months and almost destroying my marriage for me to admit I had PPD. I never took anything out on my daughter, but my poor husband would walk through the door and the man would just get reamed. I have no idea how he endured that for so long, he is an amazing man.

When I realized what was going on I started on a mega dose of fish oil (3000 mg 3X a day). It was amazing the difference we saw that first week.When we found out we were expecting our second, I started looking into ways to prevent of lessen the affects of PPD. I knew my birth would be better. I had a wonderful midwife, armed with info and I was getting my home birth. I knew there had to be more I could do.

That is when I found placenta encapsulation! I have still struggles with depression. I have learned that is just part of who I am. However, taking my placenta and St. Johns wart and made the postpartum period after my second child SO MUCH BETTER! 

After my next baby (hopefully in 2011 or 2012) I will encapsulate sooner and have the St. Johns wart on hand. I waited 6 weeks to finish my placenta (order my encapsulator to late) and I had to ordered in my herbs. 

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Talk with your MW and your SO. They need to know how you are feeling. I'm always willing to talk PM me ((HUGS))

Quoting Pandapanda:

I've been having a really hard time the last few months, so I've finally decided to talk to my midwife about how i'm feeling.. hopefully it goes well. =\

Pandapanda
by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I guess for me I just feel incompetent and unappreciated. Not terribly bad, but I feel bummed no matter what. I do wish I had more help with the baby sometimes, but I also chose to be a stay at home mom, so I keep trying to tell myself that I just need time to adjust. It's already been four going on five months though. It helps to have extra physical attention (not just sex- the extra cuddling, kisses, dancing) and sometimes I just need to bawl my eyes out for it to feel better for a few days.

Quoting Kittynip:

I was really curious about this as well! Personally I've never had it, but after our first son was born my husband was hit by PPD pretty hard. I have no idea what it feels like so I did my best to let him know that I was there for him without making him feel as though I didn't trust him alone with our son but I have no idea what he really needed. So my question is what do you need, support wise? Do you need extra help with the child, more emotional support, someone to talk to?? I felt so bad not knowing how to comfort him :(

truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Ok I a few mins.  I had it with my first because of my c-section.  It was really hard, I really didn't like my DD at all for the first year.  I took care of her, but the  bonding and happy feelings were few and far between. I was a terrible mom to her, and she was a WONDERFUL baby. That is the one do over I would ever request in life. I just powered through it, exercise helped me the most.  Also once we moved it helped a lot too a bigger space that was mine to do with whatever I wanted.  I can't take meds for this type of thing unless it is a danger to me or others.  I think what would have helped me is somebody to talk to about everything.  I hid it mostly my DH sorta knew and tried to help but I wish he would have sat me down and talked to me. I think telling your feelings and not being judged for them helps a lot.  Who the hell wants to say out loud they don't like their precious child?  But being able to say it and figure it out helps. That is why I love this site so much.  You can talk about it here and it won't make you feel as good as a face to fact talk but it takes a load off for sure.  I think it should be talked about more.  I also think this is where our maternity care falls seriously short.  Some women don't show reals signs for months and after 6 weeks nobody cares about her anymore, that is tragic.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)