Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pumping question?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay I know this isn't quite a natural birth question however, I figure someone here might have had experience with pumping. I've been reading some posts in my my DDG and most there have said they pump for 15-30 min when they do pump. I typically only pump until I don't see any milk which is anywhere from 3 min to 5 min. Should I be pumping for longer periods of time? I do put DS to my breast for feedings. I am pumping so I can have milk for when there are situations that I do not feel comfortable nursing him. (most of these are work related) Thanks for any help.

by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM

no you are fine I pump 10 mins max. 

tiger_tatted1
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM

If your happy with the amount of milk you have from pumping, Your good to go! If you want more milk...Putting your nipple in different positions can help more milk to come!

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Thanks ladies. I get between .5 and 1 oz when I pump after nursings. Which right now seems to be about right for us. I was just wondering if I was doing it right when I saw so many saying they were pumping for longer periods of time. Now I know :D

MarigoldsMama
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Yeah... I never pump for more than 10 minutes or so. I've had success pumping/collecting on the other side while nursing on one side too.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM

What I've done when I finish pumping I massage and hand express. I never have much luck with repositioning and pumping. I also wonder if my shields are the wrong size. I tend to have milk on my breasts not the nipple or areola when I'm done pumping.

Quoting tiger_tatted1:

If your happy with the amount of milk you have from pumping, Your good to go! If you want more milk...Putting your nipple in different positions can help more milk to come!

nubicy
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM

should typically pump for 5-10 minutes after your milk stops...this is to increase your supply and make sure you get a second let down (of the hind milk).

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I'm not really wanting to increase supply. Just keep it steady. Also what is the benefit of a second let down? Just wondering.

Quoting nubicy:

should typically pump for 5-10 minutes after your milk stops...this is to increase your supply and make sure you get a second let down (of the hind milk).

gypsyjewels
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Yea, it depends on the woman. I let down and got plenty within 10 minutes where other moms had to work on it a little more. 

doulala
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Hind milk is the fattier milk, less carbs~

:-)

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Ahh ok. I knew hind milk was richer just wondered why I'd want double ;) I guess that would make sure that DS wasn't FTT huh ;) When they nurse do you get two letdowns? I ask because DS will actively nurse for about 15/20 min. I've never felt let down. I mean I know when it happens while he nurses because it never fails the side he's not nursing on leaks. Outside of that I have no clue.

Quoting doulala:

Hind milk is the fattier milk, less carbs~

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN