Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Okay I know this isn't quite a natural birth question however, I figure someone here might have had experience with pumping. I've been reading some posts in my my DDG and most there have said they pump for 15-30 min when they do pump. I typically only pump until I don't see any milk which is anywhere from 3 min to 5 min. Should I be pumping for longer periods of time? I do put DS to my breast for feedings. I am pumping so I can have milk for when there are situations that I do not feel comfortable nursing him. (most of these are work related) Thanks for any help.

by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-12):
truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

Ahh ok. I knew hind milk was richer just wondered why I'd want double ;) I guess that would make sure that DS wasn't FTT huh ;) When they nurse do you get two letdowns? I ask because DS will actively nurse for about 15/20 min. I've never felt let down. I mean I know when it happens while he nurses because it never fails the side he's not nursing on leaks. Outside of that I have no clue.

Quoting doulala:

Hind milk is the fattier milk, less carbs~

:-)

I usually feel a little tingle when the second one happens, and maybe a little ache deep in my breast as it is pushing forward the milk

Caroline2010
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM

i EP so i pump for 20-30 min and its to help my supply stay the same! since its supply and demend i pump an extra 5 min after i stop seeing milk so that my breast know to make more!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN