Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Contractions

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

On average, how long did your most intense labor contractions last?  Is it true that it's more like intense pressure than pain?  Does it get to a point where there doesn't seem to be a break between them?

by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Transition is the most intense, and it does hurt but the issues is the lack of a break in between the pain is copeable but they come back to back and mine came during eachother so I had no break. Transition usually only lasts 45 mins to 2 hours but it flies bye because you are so busy coping with it. If you are well rested, eating well, and well hydrated before labor and during the early labor and active labor it is a lot easier to cope exhaustion is what gets you.  So at the end even though it is sooo hard sleep whenever possible, eat good healthy meals, drink lots of water and other drinks as well.  Also in the beginning of labor SLEEP!!!!!  I couldn't and didn't and that made the end of labor so much harder than it needed to be. 

whttigr0
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I cant really give a good time frame for my labors lasting other then this. I have pre-term so I have contractions and changes way before the baby is due to arrive. All of my births up to this point (6 of them) have been at the hospital. I was never fully in labor when I entered the hospital except with my 1st (they were 3 mins apart). With all of my children they broke my water by 5 cm then I started with full labor. From the time they broke the water until they were born were 2 1/2 hrs, 1 1/2 hrs, 3 hrs, 3 hrs, 3 hrs, 1 hr 45 mins (first half hour there was no contractions on this one).

I would say with each one it was a little different. Some hurt bad and others not so bad. A lot of it depends on the position you are in and the support you have helping you through if you need it. Towards the very end (maybe the last half hour or less) they were on top of each other with no break, but within that time the babies were born.

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I have only had one natural birth and I had pressure waves not contractions. Sure they were intense and I had to tell myself to relax, tel my cervix to one (I'm not good with visuals, telling my body to do it seems to work for me). 

The longest pressure wave (double peak, but I have no idea the time) was just before I started pushing. I did a low open mouth moan through it, Laid down took a few minuet nap then I felt the urge to push! 

Really you need to discover what helps you relax. Make sure the birth environment will support that need. Take this "Love Languages" quiz with your SO. It will give you a good start. 

Pandapanda
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM
mine were over a minute long, sometimes almost three minutes and they weren't a good indicator of when I needed to go to the birthing center. The pressure was so much worse than the pain, I could tell exactly how far his head was. My water broke at 9cm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM

When labor started for me this time my contractions were 7 min apart and 1 min in duration. At that time it was pain not pressure I was feeling. That evening they got to 5 min apart and 1 min in duration. At that point it was more pressure than pain. When I got to 4 min apart and 1 min in duration lots of pressure. I couldn't sit down, I couldn't lay down if I tried the pressure was unbearable.

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM

For me, the contractions were definitely intense and I think that if my 3rd baby was not so fast, I never would have experienced a truly natural labor. Suddenly the light bulb went off! "OMG, It's not that bad!"

I think a lot of women don't give themselves enough credit! I really do think that all women can get through childbirth without drugs. They will need a good support team, good care providers and they will need to be educated!  With out that, it will be one heck of a ride.

Good Luck!

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I agree. I know that this last birth I was so close but I caved. My problem during each birth is the fact that I am a large woman. To get my baby's HB you have to go under my belly. As I get further into active labor laying down is extremely painful. So 10 min of monitoring gets intolerable. When I'm in pain  tend to tune everything out. Which is why once I went over the events of my most recent birth I get down even more about the fact that I asked for the epi. Evidently the OB that was on call for my OB had mentioned to me that they could put internal monitors in. They could disconnect them when I wasn't having the 10 min of monitoring and when I was monitored I would be able to stand. Well he had this discussion with me while I was in the bed trying to get through contractions that seemed to be on top of each other. I wasn't paying attenttion what so ever to him. I then asked for the epi. DH had heard what the doctor had told me about the internals and asked me if I was sure that was the route I wanted to go. He didn't realize that I hadn't payed attention to the OB. He thought I was making my decission between the internals and the epi and my choice was the epi. Of course they say hindsight is always 20/20. :(

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

For me, the contractions were definitely intense and I think that if my 3rd baby was not so fast, I never would have experienced a truly natural labor. Suddenly the light bulb went off! "OMG, It's not that bad!"

I think a lot of women don't give themselves enough credit! I really do think that all women can get through childbirth without drugs. They will need a good support team, good care providers and they will need to be educated!  With out that, it will be one heck of a ride.

Good Luck!

Roadfamily6now
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

oh dear! I know that they do this! Why do they ask a women during a contraction what she wants??? I would say yes to anything during a contraction

JaceTalonsMom
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Quoting hillmom:

Make sure the birth environment will support that need. Take this "Love Languages" quiz with your SO. It will give you a good start. 

Not longer than a month ago I went to a class about the love languages and did the quiz with my DH.  It was very insightful.  =)  I need to get the book now.

DixieFlower
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Well my first request was for stadol. The OB asked me why I choose that over an epi. Now the only thing I blurted out to him was "I don't like the idea of something in my back" Which was not accurate I had plenty more reasons it's just at that time I was in no mood to talk. DH and I were discussing this last birth and he felt so bad. He told me he should have known when I blurted that out that I was not paying attention and he should have repeated things to me once I was able to get up and moving. I was really shocked when the OB was asking me various things during my contractions during monitoring since when he first came to my room I was working through a contraction. He didn't say anything to me at that time and waited for me to get through it.

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

oh dear! I know that they do this! Why do they ask a women during a contraction what she wants??? I would say yes to anything during a contraction

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)