Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How to Correct Anemia

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

Here are two different ways you can fix anemia. One with a decoction(syrup) or an herbal infusion (strong tea) you prepare every other day. You need less of the decoction to have the same effect as the tea. If you dont like teas I would do the decoction. I warn you the herbs used to correct anemia do NOT taste plesant in tea form at all.

You can buy flordiax if you want but here is a much more cost efficient way to to make your own anemia prevention and correction decoction.

About Decoctions:
Decoction, an infusion reduced one-half of its volume by slow evaporation. A double decoction is reduced to one-fourth of its original volume. Decoctions keep longer when refrigerated. Shelf life is about 6-12mos. Decoctions are best used for roots and barks of herbs. Always make decoctions when you will be in the same room or else your risk scorching the liquid. For a pint of infusion(2c)m about an hour is needed to reduce to half.

Anemia Decoction(tonic) Recipe
Yellow Dock Root, 1oz
Burdock Root, 1oz.
Honey, 4tbsp
Brandy, 2tbp (optional - for flavor)

Put the roots into a qt jar, fill compltely with boiling water. cap well. Infuse for a minimum 8hrs or overnight. Strain plant material out and discard. Steam liquid on a very low flame until its reduced to one cup. Do NOT boil or simmer. Add honey and stir until it dissolves. Turn up heat and bring mixture just to boil. Pour into a clean jar. Add brandy if desired. Cap. Cool at room temp for a few hours. Then store your tonic in your refrigerator.

Yellow Dock root rises the hemocrit of as much as a point a week reported by some women taking this tonic during pregnancy and after a hemhorrage.

Dose 1-2 tbsp daily.

*If you can only ge one herb use yellow dock root for the decoction.

About Herbal Infusions:
Infusions are a strong medicinal tea used to prevent and correct problems. Infusions serve the most benefit if drank 3-5 times a week over a long period of time.
Leaves: steep 1oz(two handful of cut up leaves or 3 handful of whole leaves) in a quart jar. Top with boiling water and steep room temp 4hrs.
Roots & Barks: 1oz(big handful of cut-up root) in a pint jar. Top with boiling water and steep room temp for 8hrs.

When infusing a combination of leaves and roots, generally best to brew seperately so each herbs steeps the proper length of time.

High Iron Tea
Yellow Dock Root, 1oz
Nettle Leaf, 1oz
Red Raspberry Leaf, 1oz

Measure herbs and put them into a glass half-gallon jar. Pour boiling water until jar is totally full; cover tightly. Steep for at least 8hrs. Drink up to 4 cups daily.

Anemia Prevention Brew
Nettle Leaves, 1/2 oz
Parsley, 1/2oz
Comfrey, 1/2 oz
Yellow Dock Root, 1/2 oz
Peppermind Leaves, 1/4oz

Measure herbs and put them into a glass half-gallon jar. Pour boiling water until jar is totally full; cover tightly. Steep for at least 8hrs.

Nettle, Parsley and Yellow Dock are excellent sources of iron. Parsley provides folic acid and Comfrey provides vitamin B12. All herbs contain vitamin C, which aids in iron absorption. Mint makes it tasty.

Drink up to 4 cups a day, for one week each month.

I buy my herbs from sfherb.com and mountainroseherbs.com by the pound.

Hand-made herbal products for pregnancy, postpartum and baby! Herbal Teas * Herbal Salves * Ear Ease Oil * Sitz Baths * Sitz Sprays

by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for this, I have a condition where I can't take iron supplements so I have to get it from food sources and this is helpful. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Awesome!

I also posted a reply on the VBAC group

cali4niachef
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Awesome!

I also posted a reply on the VBAC group

I have everything on hand for High-Iron Tea and some of the ingredients for the Anemia-Prevention Brew.

I can come up with a formula easily that has RRL, Nettle, Yellow Dock, Burdock Root and Comfrey in it. I can have it ready as early as a week from now since the semester will be over.

I sell my teas $6 for 1oz, comes with a reusable muslin bag. 1oz makes 15cups roughly. If you plan to add the entire 1oz to a quart jar, if you buy several ounces I can work out a discount.

Hand-made herbal products for pregnancy, postpartum and baby! Herbal Teas * Herbal Salves * Ear Ease Oil * Sitz Baths * Sitz Sprays

RugersMommy06
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 7:30 AM

I ate high iron foods--seemed to work for me at the end of my pregnancy & postpartum.

Roadfamily6now
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM

There was a time when I was taking FLoradix and eating red meat (something I usually dont due) and cooking solely on cast iron along with a lot of spinach and all kinds of tricks, and yet my Iron acutally went DOWN by 3 points in those 2 weeks! I was stunned.

DixieFlower
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM

A bit OT but I'm definately going to need to get some of your milkmaid tea from your store :) Hopefully I will be able to order it this Friday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN