Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Breastfeeding Challenges

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

Lets discuss some of the challenges we faced while breastfeeding.

Tammy

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick."

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MammaQuinny
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM

pain!  But that went away after a few weeks.  Ummm now I just have to be careful of his teeth!  He bites sometimes, but I take him off when he does.

Hrivera5
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Thank you for this post.

Mine was bad latch (I think now...had no idea at the time, was too ignorant to ask for help).  LOTS of pain, I struggled through for like a month and then gave up.  UGH.  My nipples are a bit flat...but not flat enough for me to think it was that...I think I just didn't learn how to latch or fix latching problems.  Not sure.

I am so confident this time, but I was before my other kids were born also.  The pain and the tiredness both times just made it easy for me to give up :(  I don't SEE myself getting into that trap again, but I am worried in the back of my mind.  I know so much more now that I can't imagine going to formula again for just the reason that I gave up.

Does it always hurt at the biginning and EVERYONE has to get used to it?  Or was it more likely a bad latch in my case?  (nips were bleeding and chapped after the first few days).

palemoon21
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Trying to latch baby on while walking around a store and NOT using a sling. lol That's really difficult for me for some reason.

JaceTalonsMom
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM

A list a mile long that my MIL gave me...of foods I COULD NOT eat.  I went bonkers trying to follow that stupid list!!  Next time I'm eating what I want except the obvious gassy/spicy foods. 

MarigoldsMama
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I've been lucky to have a pretty easy time of it.

My biggest issue has been with oversupply/overactive letdown, but that has pretty much self-regulated by now. I still have to wear breastpads all the time though. (My little guy is 8 months) With my middle daughter, I had to wear breastpads for 18 months!

Right now, I'm dealing with a baby who is far more interested in the world around him than in he is in nursing. It is a struggle for me to find a quiet, calm environment that won't distract him, so that he won't clamp down and then quickly turn his head... owwwwie!

jubes
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM
My biggest challenge was getting my ds to latch properly. Hard work with an LC and determination corrected the latch problem and we nursed successfuly for 18months when he self weaned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WholeFoodsMom
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Sooo glad to see this post! I had the same problem with my daughter. I breastfed for two months, then stopped because it hurt so bad. I, too, have learned so much in the past two years that I see formula feeding as something I absolutely do not want to do. My midwife suggested it was improper latch and should contact the La Leche League. 

Quoting Hrivera5:

Thank you for this post.

Mine was bad latch (I think now...had no idea at the time, was too ignorant to ask for help).  LOTS of pain, I struggled through for like a month and then gave up.  UGH.  My nipples are a bit flat...but not flat enough for me to think it was that...I think I just didn't learn how to latch or fix latching problems.  Not sure.

I am so confident this time, but I was before my other kids were born also.  The pain and the tiredness both times just made it easy for me to give up :(  I don't SEE myself getting into that trap again, but I am worried in the back of my mind.  I know so much more now that I can't imagine going to formula again for just the reason that I gave up.

Does it always hurt at the biginning and EVERYONE has to get used to it?  Or was it more likely a bad latch in my case?  (nips were bleeding and chapped after the first few days).

AntroNet
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM

breastfeedingI am curious about losing weight.  I was told that exercising excessively would cause a bad taste in your milk...like lactic acid or something.  I also heard it would decrease the milk production.  Still, joining a gym after baby is one of my favorite mommie relaxers--almost the only one thing I looked forward to doing on my own and now that has to be taken from me for a year ( I breastfeed for one year, then hubby says stop stickin' my tit in a grown man's mouth other than his...lol!).

Hrivera5
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

So glad I am not alone!  I am going to GET HELP this time if I have pain and think about giving up!  This baby will be breastfed, like my other ones should have been :)

I am looking into going to a LLL near me also, but this time I also have a midwife that offers breastfeeding help in the weeks after birth (thank goodness!)

Quoting WholeFoodsMom:

Sooo glad to see this post! I had the same problem with my daughter. I breastfed for two months, then stopped because it hurt so bad. I, too, have learned so much in the past two years that I see formula feeding as something I absolutely do not want to do. My midwife suggested it was improper latch and should contact the La Leche League. 

Quoting Hrivera5:

Thank you for this post.

truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Latching, sore nipples, cracked nipples, tongue tie, fast letdown.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)