Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birthing classes?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

If you have taken birthing classes please share your experience with it and give a brief overview.  I want this thread to be a resource for those looking into the different classes. 

by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I took a hospital birthing class, and I do not recommend them at all.  I did learn about the phases of labor, but I also was told how to be a good patient, and that all that matters is healthy baby.  They really push the intervention and pain med card.  

Kittynip
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Same here, when I brought up how to make a birth plan the instructor laughed at me and assured the whole class that the hospital knew how to take care of everything =/

I'm currently working with self hypnosis and it is sooooo relaxing and enjoyable! I will update in a few weeks how it worked for me during labor ^_^

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I took a hospital birthing class, and I do not recommend them at all.  I did learn about the phases of labor, but I also was told how to be a good patient, and that all that matters is healthy baby.  They really push the intervention and pain med card.  

An angel in the book of life wrote down our baby's birth.
And whispered as she closed the book *Too beautiful for Earth*
akstarfish11
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 5:18 AM

I took the hospital birthing class out at Mat-su Regional. It was great! We learned he phases of labor also. I felt it was a very well rounded class, she gave us information about natural pain management, and avoiding intervention if the baby was safe and healthy, as well as information about c-sections and other pain management. 

I think the Birthing center out here in Wasilla differs from Prov or AK Regional, they seem to be going back to more of a natural attitude about birth. There is even a birthing tub, although, they wont let you actually birth in it anymore, but you can labor as long as you want in it.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Quoting akstarfish11:

I took the hospital birthing class out at Mat-su Regional. It was great! We learned he phases of labor also. I felt it was a very well rounded class, she gave us information about natural pain management, and avoiding intervention if the baby was safe and healthy, as well as information about c-sections and other pain management. 

I think the Birthing center out here in Wasilla differs from Prov or AK Regional, they seem to be going back to more of a natural attitude about birth. There is even a birthing tub, although, they wont let you actually birth in it anymore, but you can labor as long as you want in it.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I had an all natural VBAC there 4 months ago.  It is a pretty good hospital, that isn't where I took my birth class.  

MarigoldsMama
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Sorry... this is going to be long... I'm passionate about it! :)

My husband and I took a 6 week Hypnobirthing course offered though my hospital.

I found it to be amazingly helpful! When I was pregnant with my 1st, I really wasn't knowledgeable AT ALL about labor, birth or my birthing options. This course really opened my eyes! The instructor used the Hypnobirthing - The Mongan Method curriculum, but also assigned a lot of 'extra' reading. (Ina Gaskin, etc).  We learned the basics of labor and  childbirth along with self-hypnosis techniques.

The focus of this particular class was on how to have a pain / drug /intervention free birth in a hospital setting. Since the instructor was a retired head L&D nurse (from THAT hospital) who became a Doula (total birth junkie!) she not only knew what interventions to avoid... but also which OBs and nurses were the most supportive of drug free birth in that particular location. While I was taking the course, she actually held an in-service for the L&D staff and OBs on Hypnobirthing, so that when I went to deliver, the nurses I had were excited to 'see it in action.' :) Our instructor had witnessed 100s of births (hospital AND home, medicated and non medicated) she had a wealth of knowledge.

My husband and I learned (and practiced) pain and fear release scripts. We practiced deep breathing and visualization. We had practical, hands-on practice on how to use self-hypnosis to achieve a totally relaxed yet aware and calm state. We had 'homework' where we wrote our own scripts for pre-birth bonding with baby and labor relaxation. We practiced hypnosis with the instructor and my husband speaking ... and with CDs to practice with at home. Personally, I found our own 'scripts' and deep breathing accompanied by slow music to be the most effective.

We also had help and practice with the physical things that we could do during labor... how to write a birth plan that would be followed, how to check in and get a supportive nurse, keeping our strength up with snacks / hydration, laboring movements and positions... and real things our labor partner could do to help during labor... how to execute light touch massage, hip counterpressure, supported laboring positions, etc.

It was an excellent class!

And... how did it work???? GREAT!

With my 1st (at 42 weeks, with no induction) I labored at home for 15 hours. I was so calm, I read a novel, cover to cover. When I arrived at the hospital, I was happy and joking with the nurses ... and when I allowed a VE, I was at 8cm. Little did I know that it would be another 9 hours until I would deliver! My 9+lb, posterior baby was pretty stubborn! But, when I remember her birth, I only remember calm and peace. I never felt the need for pain meds. I did allow an AROM at the end, because I was pushing and pushing and it wasn't rupturing or budging ...but other than that, no interventions and no drugs.

My 2nd Hypnobirth baby, 10lb Rosemary, had shoulder dystocia, (she got a little stuck) but again, the self-hypnosis really worked for me. Peace and calm.

My 3rd Hypnobirth, Maxwell was my easiest, although he was also face up. My shortest, 8 hour labor, no drugs, no intervention. :)

I can highly recommend self-hypnosis based on my own experience!

Although, I think that the way my instructor structured her "Hypnobirthing" course, it actually may have more in common with the newer Hypnobabies program rather than the older Hypnobirthing-MonganMethod course. She added a lot of her own experience that I don't think a self-study Hypnobirthing course would include.

Kittynip
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Thank you so much for posting this!! I just finished reading hypnobirthing and ordered the hypnobabies home study course and hearing stories like this gives me so much confidence! We're having a home birth and couldn't be more excited to have a natural birthing experience :)

Quoting MarigoldsMama:

Sorry... this is going to be long... I'm passionate about it! :)

My husband and I took a 6 week Hypnobirthing course offered though my hospital.

I found it to be amazingly helpful! When I was pregnant with my 1st, I really wasn't knowledgeable AT ALL about labor, birth or my birthing options. This course really opened my eyes! The instructor used the Hypnobirthing - The Mongan Method curriculum, but also assigned a lot of 'extra' reading. (Ina Gaskin, etc).  We learned the basics of labor and  childbirth along with self-hypnosis techniques.

The focus of this particular class was on how to have a pain / drug /intervention free birth in a hospital setting. Since the instructor was a retired head L&D nurse (from THAT hospital) who became a Doula (total birth junkie!) she not only knew what interventions to avoid... but also which OBs and nurses were the most supportive of drug free birth in that particular location. While I was taking the course, she actually held an in-service for the L&D staff and OBs on Hypnobirthing, so that when I went to deliver, the nurses I had were excited to 'see it in action.' :) Our instructor had witnessed 100s of births (hospital AND home, medicated and non medicated) she had a wealth of knowledge.

My husband and I learned (and practiced) pain and fear release scripts. We practiced deep breathing and visualization. We had practical, hands-on practice on how to use self-hypnosis to achieve a totally relaxed yet aware and calm state. We had 'homework' where we wrote our own scripts for pre-birth bonding with baby and labor relaxation. We practiced hypnosis with the instructor and my husband speaking ... and with CDs to practice with at home. Personally, I found our own 'scripts' and deep breathing accompanied by slow music to be the most effective.

We also had help and practice with the physical things that we could do during labor... how to write a birth plan that would be followed, how to check in and get a supportive nurse, keeping our strength up with snacks / hydration, laboring movements and positions... and real things our labor partner could do to help during labor... how to execute light touch massage, hip counterpressure, supported laboring positions, etc.

It was an excellent class!

And... how did it work???? GREAT!

With my 1st (at 42 weeks, with no induction) I labored at home for 15 hours. I was so calm, I read a novel, cover to cover. When I arrived at the hospital, I was happy and joking with the nurses ... and when I allowed a VE, I was at 8cm. Little did I know that it would be another 9 hours until I would deliver! My 9+lb, posterior baby was pretty stubborn! But, when I remember her birth, I only remember calm and peace. I never felt the need for pain meds. I did allow an AROM at the end, because I was pushing and pushing and it wasn't rupturing or budging ...but other than that, no interventions and no drugs.

My 2nd Hypnobirth baby, 10lb Rosemary, had shoulder dystocia, (she got a little stuck) but again, the self-hypnosis really worked for me. Peace and calm.

My 3rd Hypnobirth, Maxwell was my easiest, although he was also face up. My shortest, 8 hour labor, no drugs, no intervention. :)

I can highly recommend self-hypnosis based on my own experience!

Although, I think that the way my instructor structured her "Hypnobirthing" course, it actually may have more in common with the newer Hypnobabies program rather than the older Hypnobirthing-MonganMethod course. She added a lot of her own experience that I don't think a self-study Hypnobirthing course would include.

An angel in the book of life wrote down our baby's birth.
And whispered as she closed the book *Too beautiful for Earth*
DixieFlower
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM

BUMP!

lilmisbeachbum
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Im using the hypnobabies home study course right now and love it!! BUT since I have not given birth yet I can not give too much info...

AntroNet
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I took classes on my first and second babies.  The second time, felt out of place due to being one of the oldest (although I wasn't that old---30 something), but everyone else was on their first baby and the info seemed elementary since I read every book I could get my hands on the minute I knew I was pregnant.  Anyway....the first time it was a Lamaze class and yes, they wanted you to be a good little patient and do all what the authority tells you...basically, be experiemented on.  Anyway, that breathing thing....didn't work!  I did it for an hour or so, but when that pitocin kicked in from my unnecessary induction, IT ALL WENT OUT THE WINDOW!!!  I told my husband to get in the corner and use the breathing himself and I'd breath how I felt cause it felt better to breath uncontrollably.  So, that's my story.  I didn't do classes for my third and am not doing it for this one.  But I do want to try meditation and the quite moaning, swaying, and hot shower like I did last time.  Worked perfectly.  It was a combination of what I've seen working for others on sites like this one, you tube, and other videos I could get my hands onto.  Also a LOT of reading of other people's birth storys!!!!  Lately, though I have taken an interest to the Orgasmic Birth thing.  Not necessarily to really have an orgasim cause sex to me is NOT what I am thinking about during labor, but just the blissful experience of giving birth!  Not to see it as traumatic or even major...just another important pleasant part of life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN