Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homebirthers!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm thinking way ahead here since we aren't pregnant right now, but planning ahead is helpful :)

So I'm slowly trying to talk to my husband about a home birth for whenever we have our next baby. He's taking the typical "what if _____" stance. So could any of you share your experiences and any information that would be helpful in my quest for a homebirth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
calebmama
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM

I have a "What if the baby comes out and does not breath" story, lol.

I pushed my son out in 1 pushes, and when he came out he was bright blue and holding his breath. took a good 2 mins, with o2 from the midwife, AND a mouth to mouth breath for him to start breathing. The whole time one midwife had a hand on his cord (to check that he was still getting the blood from me) and a hand on his pulse. The other midwife kept sucktioning his nose and mouth, and ended up giving him a puff of air by mouth to mouth.

It was REALLY scary. But he is my happy almost 2 year old now. I am SO happy I had midwives who could keep a cool head, and knew what to do.

doulala
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Make your "What If" list~
Literally write down as many concerns and questions you have.
     Then research the answers.    Get info through books, doctors, midwives, etc.    Find out how possible these issues truly are, how to prevent them, how to deal with them IF they should happen.   Know that with preparation you are as safe or SAFER at home than in the hospital setting for a normal, natural birth.

:-)

I can offer more info, too.
I'd start with reading~   as soon as you want to get started!

Pandapanda
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM
More info would be lovely! Any specific book suggestions? I'm considering starting him on Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, since I've finally finished.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
palemoon21
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

WHAT IF you get into your car and another driver runs a red light?

WHAT IF you eat undercooked pork and get a tapeworm?

WHAT IF you laugh while eating an M & M and you choke?

WHAT IF you walk down a flight of stairs with a laundry basket and fall?

What if's are EVERYWHERE. You just have to know what to do to handle them. My ex-SO read up and learn emergency childbirth and recussitaion before we had our UC.

hillmom
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM

My DH was the same way. I 1) told him how horrible the hospital was for me with our first 2) had him watch "The Business of Being Born" and 3) took him to talk with a MW (who later delivered our second baby. I did all of this a year+ before we conceived our second child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)